9-11

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

9-11

Postby 733SubDucker » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:47 am

Never forget what happened 12 years ago today.

Some rambling thoughts...

I was stationed out in Washington state at the time so my young wife and I were still in bed when the first plane hit. My folks called from here in Maine. I remember every single detail. Standing next to the bed with that crappy little 13" TV on the dresser fixated on the screen. My boat was in dry dock in the middle of a major overhaul. We spent the following months buried in security details that eventually became the new way of life. Extra wire. Extra gates. Vehicle inspections. Eventually we went back to sea with our new weapons system. Back to the tip of the spear. I know what we were doing was important. But I still feel guilt and anger to this day. Those lives lost. The courage and bravery of our own people. Do you remember the feeling of those days that followed? Feel that again.

I'm headed over to give blood this afternoon because it is the only thing I can think of doing today.

Hold your loved ones close and give thanks that we continue to live in a free and just society, whatever the current political ills may be. Continue to thank those that volunteer to keep us safe at night.

God bless America.
733SubDucker
hunter

Re: 9-11

Postby R-Factor » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:55 am

That's a good word 733- very easy to become complacent and forget what we have. I was a little over a year out of college and sitting in an Indianapolis office building that morning.
R-Factor
hunter

Postby jlmaine » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:35 pm

Well said 733subducker,
I was only 13 at the time, but I can distinctly remember the fear and terror in every ones eyes. Complete uncertainty and shock in all of the adults. I can just remember that at 13, my brain was completely haywire, having thoughts of getting invaded and or bombed... I was a strange kid, so it makes sense that I would think that now. But what I really took away from that was not how some people are complete as$hol3s, and will do anything to hurt us, but the compassion and acts of courage and heroism displayed by everyone ranging from regular citizens to police and fireman. It was great to see the country come together and help heal as one. And like you said, never get complacent, realize and love what you have, and thank the brave people keeping us safe, and allow us to live in a free society!
All about the pup from here on out!
jlmaine
hunter

Postby tgs » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:36 pm

Nice call Courtney. We did a First Responders BBQ at work to give back a fraction of what they give everyday.

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... -1/fosnews
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:18 pm

Great job Troy!
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:20 pm

733SubDucker wrote:Great job Troy!