Species Percentage Breakdown Fun!

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Species Percentage Breakdown Fun!

Postby R-Factor » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:47 pm

Ok- we've got to do something to get this board livened up a bit for Pete's sake. :wink: :lol3: I thought it would be neat to get a little input from around the state on this. For those who kept a record last year- and who care to share- what was your breakdown of duck species? I'm not looking for total kills- and won't be sharing my own...just a little fun with percentages for us number geeks. If you want to list the town you reside in (not necessarily where you hunt), feel free.
Alrighty...I'll go first.

Hometown: Lincoln
Mallards: 35%
Blacks: 16%
Woodies: 8%
GW Teal: 29%
Ringnecks: 12%

No odd species (or Sea Ducks for that matter) for me last year- which was not the case in 2010 or 2011.
R-Factor
hunter

Re: Species Percentage Breakdown Fun!

Postby bkmaine » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:31 am

Hometown: Gorham
Mallard: 50%
Black: 9%
Wood: 25%
Bufflehead: 4%
Common Merganser: 3%
Hooded Merganser: 9%
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:35 am

I live in Manchester and I hunt the retention ponds around the new hospital in Augusta. :lol:

Last year was a bit of an anomaly because I missed so much time with pneumonia. Here is my typical breakdown.

Mallard: 70%
Wood Duck: 20%
Black Duck: 10%

In October that ratio is skewed to about 5/4/1 and in November or December (after most woodies leave) it is basically 8/0/2.

I rarely shoot odd birds because of the way I hunt. In 2011 I shot a GW Teal which is odd where I got him and I had 2 hen Pintail taken from my blind by my father and uncle in 2011 as well. My friend takes me out for sea ducks on occasion, but I consider that a whole different conversation. My dream is a drake Pintail in corn.

Oh, and unlike most guys on here... I don't shoot "lizards"... :tongue:
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:53 pm

Hometown: waterboro
Mallards: 60-70%
Woodies: 20-30%
Blacks: 5-10%
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby native brookie » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:17 pm

I don't keep a log, so I'm going my memory, not actual statistics.

But looking at the statistics so far, I'm surprised at the black duck/mallard ratio.

I'd guess I see and harvest about equal numbers of blacks and mallards, hunting everywhere from the Belgrade Lakes to Casco Bay and points in between.

I take a couple of days every December and focus on goldeneyes, so they might represent 10% of my harvest each year.

Early season is heavily weighted to gw teal and woodies.
native brookie
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:42 pm

Mallards 80%
Blacks 10%
Woodroes 5%
Teal 5%

Didn't get anything neat last year but I'm ever hopeful.

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby jperkins » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:35 am

I get after the GWTE hard in the early season after I found honey hole a few years ago. I amost never shoot MALL, I didn't get 1 last year. I had 2 just 3m out from the kayak last year, but I decided to just watch them instead. I'd gotten a deer earlier that day so I guess I was just content enough to sit and watch.

Hometown: Augusta
RNDU 5%
WODU 22%
ABDU 22%
BUFF 22%
GWTE 27%

Songbird and raptor migration has picked up this week after last weeks weather. Another biologist saw some decent groups of MALLs and RNDUs during surveys last week (groups of 30-60), but nothing moving far from home yet.

9 days and counting!!
I thought my calling would bring in the ducks, now I realize it's the sound of me peeing that works best...
jperkins
hunter

Postby jlmaine » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:22 pm

I do not keep a log, but will go from memory : rough estimate
Hometown: China (Chinah, Chiner)
Mallards- 40-50%
Woodies-15%
Goldeneyes 25%
Mergansers- 10%
Ringnecks- 5%
GWT- 5%
All about the pup from here on out!
jlmaine
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:15 pm

I've had a suspicion for a little while now that southern maine-ahs shoot a higher percentage of woodies than us northerners. I used to think just the opposite! Certainly the northern half of the state hosts a respectable number of Woodies each year, but I'm beginning to realize the farther north you go...the shorter they linger into the season. (Rocket Science...I know. :wink: ) I guess I just didn't realize how short the window is on those buggers in some locations...not long!
One species that I believe has changed a lot here locally in number harvested is the Goldeneye. A lot of older folks here in Lincoln speak of great shooting for them along the river years ago. You can still do it today, but not in the numbers as then.
I have a feeling Mallards are going to be up this year in my %'s... can't wait. :hammer:
R-Factor
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting