Sea Ducks

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Sea Ducks

Postby jcroelandt » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:37 pm

I moved to Maine for my wife to go to school and last year I only got out a few times. This will be my last fall in Maine and I'm looking to do some sea duck hunting. I grew up in Michigan and hunted divers there by just walking down the shore line and finding a place to hide, put some decoys out and hunt. My question is, is it possible or legal to just hunt off the shore for sea ducks here? I have a dog for retrieving and a small 12' boat that I used for duck hunting in Michigan.

Thanks for any advice

Chris
jcroelandt
Newb

Re: Sea Ducks

Postby R-Factor » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:28 am

:welcome:
If you've already hunted divers on big water, I'm sure you're aware of safety concerns with a 12' boat. With that said, I'm sure if you pick your days and locations you could do well.
As to availability of the shoreline, I would recommend paying the town office a visit and glancing through the tax maps to find out who owns the shoreline you wish to hunt. If there aren't many houses in the area, the owners might be very agreeable. We have laws here in Maine regarding mean high tide lines and access rights for fishing and fowling, but I still think you're better off to ask the owner of that stretch of the shoreline. When I first started ducking, I used to ask myself the question a lot, "Is this area legal?" rather than "Are the landowners o.k. with me being here?"...I think the latter will save you a lot of frustration in the long run.
R-Factor
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:40 am

It's POSSSIBLE for you to find a spot that would allow you to not head out into any big water. My concern for you is if things get snotty and getting back to the ramp or chasing a cripple.

If you like divers, I recommend targeting Scaup or Ringneck inland or better yet, late season Goldeneyes in the rivers. Lots of fun to be had there.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby Hutch25 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:23 pm

I'd be better able to answer depending on where you hunt...in Cape Elizabeth, I have no input. In downeast Maine- I have a P.O.V.

Hutch
Hutch25
hunter

Postby papageno » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:30 pm

The land owner owns the intertidal zone but cannot restrict access for 'fishing, fowling, navigatio or driving cattle'.
papageno
hunter

Postby tgs » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:49 pm

All depends on where you are and you how get there and like 733SD said " things change in a hurry in some spots, tides, ice, cripples". And when using a dog, just make sure you're willing to go after it or are able to call it off a sight chase cripple situation. Have seen birds lead a dog right out into open water and also into wave crashed rocks. But it is fun, and so is going to breakfast afterwards, :lol3: , be safe and enjoy
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting