Fitting End to a good first season

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Fitting End to a good first season

Postby flyman420 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:44 am

Well the year ended for me and My dog Nelli on Xmas eve morning this was the last day for us to get in a hunt and it worked out quite nice. Nelli is 10 months old and she has made over 50 retrieves for the season I have not been able to bring her the last couple of outings because of the extreme cold and the hunting location so she was very excited to get up at 4 and get out after it. We went to a local spot where the water was still open and the birds have flocked up. The morning started with 6 birds coming in hot right before shooting time. From that point on it felt like the day was gong to be a skunk the sun came up and the sky was blue and the birds were gone. About 9 we noticed 3 mallards flying low up the stream and we took advantage of there willingness to decoy. 3 in and 3 down one went down in a heap and Nelli made that retrieve with ease the second bird was cripple and started to dive and swim off i sent nelli back out and she made an 80 yrd swim out to find the bird diving but she stuck with it and dunked her head under while treading water and came up big she made the swim back and delivered to hand the last bird could be picked up by hand complete the 3 pack. I could not be more proud of Nelli I never imagined the little pup we picked out would have over 50 retrieves (one of which a banded bird) some of which extended 80- 150yds. She has done great things for a young pup. I know this is not the dog forum but I had to share with all you hunters with and without dogs how Nelli has really made a sport that I loved that much better. Have a great New Years
flyman420
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:33 pm

well done - you have alot to be proud of it seems - congratulations

btw - still another two weeks in NH!!!!!! and Sunday hunting!!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Congrats

Postby duckmann » Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:49 am

That is great! Sounds like the pup had a first season that will be remembered by the both of you for a long time.

Glad to see that the ducks were flying right up to the final shooting hour of the 2004 puddle duck season. . . now it is time to move to the ocean OR at least NH!

Oh, and now that I see your pup did soooo well we are definately going to have to connect this Spring for some training with the pups! :) In you previous post I believe you said you were from Augusta??

Duck Mann
duckmann
hunter

Postby flyman420 » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:44 am

I would be up for some training this spring for sure. I live right in augusta close to the sidney line. touch base with me this spring and we can put the dogs through their paces. I would like to do a little sea ducking for sure I have never gone to NH though to hunt I think I should do that in the future. But bwhat we should be working on is getting the sunday hunting here in maine :help:

have a great new year and good luck for the rest of your season.

Flyman
flyman420
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting