Any Suggestions?

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Any Suggestions?

Postby Gut Dux » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:12 am

Hey Guys,
I'm new to this site, but I've been reading your posts for the last couple of years(Awesome)! I live and hunt in the Guilford area, mostly hunting on rivers and ponds. But when the freeze up starts we head south to the Freeport area. We have had pretty good luck there over the years but it's a 2hr +/- drive on a Saturday morning...good thing gas is cheap! I didn't know if anyone had any suggestions or ideas on some others areas closer to home Searsport/Belfast etc, and how the launches were. Well look on the bright side, a week from now most of us won't be writing or reading on this site as we speak!!!
Gut Dux
Newb

Re: Any Suggestions?

Postby 733SubDucker » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:15 am

Welcome!... you lurker :tongue:

Why not head down to the Penobscot River / Bay area. Definitely find some open water and a heck of a lot closer than Freeport.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby Gut Dux » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:53 am

I should have been more specific and mentioned I was looking for another area to go seaduckin. The only reason I travel to Freeport is a buddy lives down that way and we're familiar with the water and area.
Gut Dux
Newb

Postby Hutch25 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:11 pm

Trenton has a fine ramp, and the bay ( a long run admittedly) can hold good birds. Watch for NW winds. There are much better spots, and closer to where you live in the mid coast above F-port. Google Earth is your friend.

Hutch
Hutch25
hunter

Postby Gut Dux » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:07 am

Thanks guys for taking the time to respond with some suggestions! I'm not asking for anyone's "Honey Hole", just a little helpful insight on some new possible area's closer to home to hunt with my boy. Happy Huntin!!
Gut Dux
Newb

Postby decoycarver » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:58 pm

Belfast great shooting =use to in the 70's near some old canneries some bridges thee, some great marshes too. puddlers get out scouting-hard work that's why we did it so WE have places --better spend gas close to home -scouting now-like everywhere else -don't need or want new commers -in the dark !!--Great places Sabasticook water shed. You need to do the work !!--you will find your own Gold mind !!
decoycarver
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting