Kind of shocking...

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Kind of shocking...

Postby hurtin_honkers » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:23 pm

Today I thought I'd pattern my 12 gauge and my 20 gauge today. Now my 1100 being old, it has a fixed modified barrel. And my 20 gauge I shot with my full and modified. I shot 2 shots out of each at 30 yards. I shot the new black cloud close range #2s 1 1/4oz, and my most successful shell, of last year, Remington sportsman #2s 1 3/8 oz. and out of my 20 gauge I shot black cloud #2s 1oz with my full and mod choke. With the 20g, the full choke put 84 pellets on the 20x14 piece of card board. Very tight pattern, looked great. The modified choke, I completely blew, and flinched before I shot and missed completely.... Only brought 2 shells as to not waste! So that's a bust, but the 12g mod barrel shocked me... The Remington shell put only 44 pellets on the sheet! And had a very blotchy pattern.... Surprising considering I did great with this shell. The bc close range stuck to its name and had only 56 pellets on target, but did have an evenly distributed pattern. Knowing that I see how my 12g should have a wide pattern, good on those birds zipping by at 30-40 yrds, and seeing how tight the 20g pattern is, I'll definitely be using that this year.... Thought I'd share my outing today!
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Re: Kind of shocking...

Postby 733SubDucker » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:42 pm

Interesting..Original Black Cloud typically performs best with little to no constriction. Let the specialized wad do its job and you will not see the blown patterns. :thumbsup:
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:23 pm

Now knowing how wide my 12 gauge pattern is im surprised on how i killed a couple ducks at about 50 yards last year.... :huh: and now i know why I've missed a few turkeys too!
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:16 pm

doesn't matter what brand of shell --it's in the yards/distance at which you shoot--30-40 yard --yes,i;ve taken the old what to f---shot too.Dont get me wrong--I much prefer them cupped up then belly up--waving good night with their little webbed feet ..I shoot what I can afford-the cheap stuff--and have very good success..If it goes down the old smoke pole and kills birds at those distances -then so be it!! And I use nothing but FULL CHOKE -Period !!--I call shot gunning the baseball theory--If a 300 hitter is hitting fine leave him alone--but if he drops to 125, for no visible reason..Then you must extract that bad SEED from his brain-mind over matter..If I could use gravel I would !!--If it breaks targets it's what it's made for..ever hear of a 600 yard shot at camp Pendleton world long range shooting with a .22 cal rifle-no they use m1-garands, m-14's --30 cal --Remember Fred Bear he could kill flying Quail with a long bow or recurve---it's not the gun it's the gunner !!--I'll spend my money else where--My 3 1/2 mag-only sees turkey action..and I have killed the with skeet load #6 shot.( Hitmen love the .22 cal ). # 6,# 4,# 5, # 3,# 2, # BB's --to me the more shot in shell the better ..
decoycarver
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting