Opener

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Opener

Postby K.I. Joe » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:48 pm

Had a great morning, Shot two geese, a drake woodie, and my first ever pintail.......didnt even know they were around the area I hunt. Nice being out but a knee injury on the walk out might keep me from going back, we will see. Hope you all did well
K.I. Joe
hunter

Re: Opener

Postby ic3breaker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:18 pm

Had to work this morning but scouted a few spots on the way home, one spots I went into has all of a sudden become quite popular. Lots of shells, someone revamped my old blind I built, a bunch of his decoys he left out there, as well as a canoe not so hidden by the launch with even more decoys in it. I don't know if I would of done that in that area personally. Must of been planning on reserving his "new" spot for himself tomorrow morning.
ic3breaker
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:04 pm

a pintail! awesome.
:thumbsup:
drake or hen?

picture?
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby native brookie » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:47 pm

My across the street spot had a neighbor and someone new already hunting when I got up this morning, so I'll have my opener without the crowds tomorrow. It's a small pond and two is comfortable, but three would have been a crowd.

I heard a shot about 6:30 and my neighbor just called to tell me he had fair numbers of woodies and teal flying but not decoying well, and that the new guy took a goose on a passing shot.
native brookie
hunter

Postby cjg » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:39 am

2 woodies and a black after work. Good time.
cjg
hunter

Postby bkmaine » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:04 am

Headed out today after work, can't wait... hope plan A works because we'll be short on time if we have to use plan B, I'll upload some pics later if we find any birds today
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Postby K.I. Joe » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:17 am

It was a hen, I will try to post pics later
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby Haste » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:31 pm

Heard from a warden he wasn't seeing many birds taken but he did see a pintail. My friend and I got our woodie limit but didn't see much else other than woodies besides a ton of sky busters.
Haste
Newb

Postby Hutch25 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:54 pm

Super odd opener for us. We floated a stream I have loved, and didn't see but one wounded bird...which pretty much showed us someone had drifted down that water earlier. We did see 5 different deer-of which 4 were shooters in size with a doe permit-and ALL were still long enough to hit-but no horns . We saw another hunter who had also not see much flying...but the southern zone is more on my knowledge list, so I wait for next week with anticipation.

Good luck out there.

Hutch
Hutch25
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:50 pm

Didnt make it out yesterday, tried a new spot that looked very promising, talked to someone who said there usually is birds in there, and sat for an hour before work, and saw one female woodie. That swam past me. I didnt want my first kill of this season to be a water swat, so i let her go. Tried another north zone go to spot this afternoon, and saw nothing. Hoping the birds are all stuck up north! Heading up tomorrow
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby JCraig12 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:40 pm

Been seeing a lot of birds but they keep getting blown away by sky busters.. :hammer: Got 2 Hoodies this AM, and whiffed on a couple BWT.. :oops:
JCraig12
hunter

Postby bkmaine » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:30 am

Took a young male wood duck, whiffed on a bunch more, even had two woodies pull up to land in our spread and neither of us noticed until they pulled up and landed about a hundred yards away. We did have 8 wood ducks inside 40 yards between 5:45 and 6:30 pm though...
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Postby maineducker » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:15 am

Slim pickings here to. We actually shot 6 geese on the opener and no ducks. Went out this morning with my buddy and got a couple blacks and four teal. Maybe next year we can get the season opened mid September and shoot even fewer birds. Unreal to open this early. :no:
maineducker
hunter

Postby K.I. Joe » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:50 am

I got two more woodies and two mallards this morning....Not seeing alot of birds but doing ok
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby Bunker » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:31 pm

Got back home in the south zone yesterday after 2 days in the North Zone for the opener. Had a blast with my father and his new pup Molly. She's only 5 mos and we took her out with no great expectations but for her to have fun and get some exposure. She got her first retrieves and it was awesome. It took her a minute to figure out what she was doing but after the 1st one she was all about it! He's been slowly working with her with pigeons and duck wings and she shows lots of potential with no pressure and for such a young age. There were woodies all over the place and some Geese but they didn't want to play ball. A lot of fun was had by all well except for my Charley who'd I'd brought with me but stayed home when we chose to take Molly. He'll get his shot Tuesday...Can't wait!!!

IMG_2006.JPG

IMG_2006.JPG

IMG_2020.JPG
Attachments
IMG_2005.JPG
Bunker
hunter

Postby DucksDown07 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:58 pm

We went out to a spot we went the opener last year where we got 18 ducks and a goose between three people. We had 5 this year, and despite sub par shooting and some cripples that disappeared despite our best efforts, we ended up with 13 birds, including my first ever wigeon. An immature drake. Few woodies, few teal, few mallards to round out the bag. Good time by all.
Some people say, "if it flies, it dies"
I'm on record the "if it just sits there, it still dies"
-Phil Robertson, The Duck Commander
DucksDown07
hunter

Postby I am A Redneck » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:40 pm

Killed a limit of Woodies, did not see as many ducks as we usually do. Still a great time!!
I am A Redneck
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:08 pm

why don't we have an early teal Season ??--Other states do-and does it count for total duck day hunted from the Feds-look at season lengths of different states-planning on LA this year in Jan-teal season on now there ..ODD ?? :huh:
decoycarver
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:51 pm

decoycarver wrote:why don't we have an early teal Season ??--Other states do-and does it count for total duck day hunted from the Feds-look at season lengths of different states-planning on LA this year in Jan-teal season on now there ..ODD ?? :huh:

:lol3:

We wouldn't want to expand hunter opportunity that could possibly create a situation that would act as an incentive to possibly move the regular season later...

:tongue:

And no, if authorized by the feds, an early teal season is a special season that does not count against your 60 days.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby cjg » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:58 am

decoycarver wrote:why don't we have an early teal Season ??--Other states do-and does it count for total duck day hunted from the Feds-look at season lengths of different states-planning on LA this year in Jan-teal season on now there ..ODD ?? :huh:

We used to have an early teal season. I don't think it got much participation.
cjg
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:21 pm

Nice job KI- I'd love to see some Pintail pics as well!!
R-Factor
hunter

Postby K.I. Joe » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:38 am

Not good pics, I didnt have my camera with me in the field but they are all I have

K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby JCraig12 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:58 am

Sweet!!!
JCraig12
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:55 pm

Nice pics KI. That almost looks like an immature drake pintail, but the speculum seems to point toward hen. I've heard that young drakes tend to have more blue shades on their bill as well vs the female. The body certainly looks hen-like at a glance overall. I believe you have a hen, but the reason I say that is that the young drakes can really fool you sometimes. Kelsey Sullivan ID'd my immature drake Pintail two years ago that I thought was a hen. Young drakes don't have a prominent "pin" like the older males and also lack the deep chocolate head that the older boys do as well.
R-Factor
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:37 pm

I think it's awesome.

If it is an immature drake, you must have knocked the eggshell off him! :lol3:

The only drake I've seen killed was on an afternoon water hunt with Seaductor. Watched a guy shoot into a flock and it appeared he missed. While he's throwing a tantrum in his boat jumping up and down we see one bird peel off and drop stone dead 150 yards from his set. Well he picks up and leaves. We went over and got the duck and couldn't believe it. We followed him back and gave him the bird. :beer:
733SubDucker
hunter

Next

Return to Maine Duck Hunting