Post the pic but protect your honey hole

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Post the pic but protect your honey hole

Postby Bunker » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:34 pm

I like to think that I'm a technical up to date kind of guy but learned something today about my iphone and the pictures it takes that I never knew. Some of you may know this and some of you may not so I thought I would share. I recently got an iphone5 after having the 4 & 4S and use it as my main camera even when hunting. I knew that when you take a photo there is information embedded in the photo like date & time etc but what I didn't know was that it also has location data including but not limited to latitude and longitude of where the photo was taken using the phone GPS. If the photo is opened in some applications it will provide the option to map the location and will pin point on a map where it was taken. This could pose a problem for those that like to take photos in the moment in the blind but don't necessarily want to broadcast to everybody exactly where they've been hunting. To get around this you can follow the following steps from the phone:
Open Settings
Open Privacy
Open Location Services and make sure your camera is set to OFF

Another way to get around this without turning off the Location Services for your camera is to call up the photo and take a screenshot of the photo and use that to post. Yes obviously you can also not use your phone.

One thing I don't know is if this happens on the iphone4 or 4S or even other manufacturers but it may be worth checking especially if you want to protect your honey hole.
Bunker
hunter

Re: Post the pic but protect your honey hole

Postby decoycarver » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:47 am

Damn it there goes my scouting secrets -thanks--you will be saving my some gas money though , guess i'll get me that Parker I always wanted !! Now I have to do all the work myself !!!-- :huh: My secret duck Hunting place---Where there is Water & Ducks --
decoycarver
hunter

Re: Post the pic but protect your honey hole

Postby Bunker » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:25 am

Oh I'm sure you'll manage... :smile: And as you well know some places with water & ducks are better than others. My secret hunting place...the retention pond on the 95 south on ramp at the Cabelas exit that place is always chalked full of em' :yes:
Bunker
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting