Oxford County

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Oxford County

Postby Prostaff85 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:56 am

I am a Prostaffer for duck and goose hunting and train duck dogs and compete professionally. I just moved to Maine and have not had time to do any hunting yet. If anyone is interested in showing me around the area I'd be happy to oblige you with some freebies. I am not looking to hunt your spots.....I am going to leave my email for SERIOUS inquiries only. I am a pro so if you have never limited out in your lifetime maybe a good time to meet up with someone and get some advice I love teaching people about duck and goose hunting and love learning as well.

my email is joshuaholland85@yahoo.com
Prostaff85
Newb

Re: Oxford County

Postby 733SubDucker » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:35 pm

Welcome! Hope you enjoy your first season in Maine.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:32 am

Good luck here in Maine!! Myself I'd be too intimidated to take out a prostaffer!! My spots would probably disappoint you.

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby Prostaff85 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:40 am

So far I have been a little disappointed I have only seen some hunters all jump shooting or walking into a feild of geese driving them up and shooting NOT HuNTinG LOL Like I said before I am bit looking to steal spots here just trying to get a layout of the land meet some farmers get some leases locked up meet some hunters teach a little and learn a little I am guna be spending a lot of hunting season in other states and canada hunting but nothing like hunting in your backyard so feel free to email me i would love to hear from everyone
Prostaff85
Newb

Postby 733SubDucker » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:29 am

Prostaff85 wrote: just trying to get a layout of the land meet some farmers get some leases locked up

:no: First of all, hunting in Maine is done on a handshake. Other hunters in may sometimes frustrate all of us (shooting roosts, jumping fields, etc.), but there is a long tradition of hunter / private landowner relations here in Maine we will sacrifice to protect. Someday that tradition will sadly end, but all we can do is act ethically as good stewards of the land and delay that transition as long as possible.

I have no reason to believe you are not a great guy just trying to make a big first impression, but do yourself a favor by toning back on the 'pro shaft' bit. You will find that there are a nice group of seasoned, successful waterfowlers here in Maine... many of whom have hunted in many areas in the region and across the country. So just relax, read, share, and you'll have a good time and meet the locals. You arrived just after a few of the duck hunters get-togethers here in the state, but be sure to hit them next year. :welcome:

If you've done a lot of hunting in the other flyways, post up some Specklebelly pics for me to drool over. :thumbsup:
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby Prostaff85 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:33 am

I have heard that all you need to do is ask and not pay to hunt up here that sounds AWSOME to me paying for leases sucks so far farmers have been really nice
Prostaff85
Newb

Postby 733SubDucker » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:51 am

That's right. All most landowners are looking for is a bit of respect for their fields, woods, and waterfront.

Local ducks should be hit or miss for the next few weeks. You never know. Expect the first solid pushes of migrators to start somewhere around Halloween. Good luck.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:16 am

Kiss my a** if you feel it necessary to come up here and screw things up by pulling out your wallet and trying to lock up places to hunt.

We don't need your kind of flatlander pulling that crap. I'm glad you're in Oxford County so you won't be affecting anywhere I hunt.

Let me tell you something about Maine! It's really easy to get permission to hunt!! but If you ever get exclusive right to hunt someones property here in Maine, It's because you earned through courtesy, respect, gaining landowner trust and building a relationship with them. We don't need some "Richard Head from away" planting the greed seed in our landowners by breaking out a wallet! Hunting in Maine is a tradition, not a pastime for rich pr*cks or prostaffers with a grandiose opinion of their abilities.

If you're going to start passing out goodies in exchange for someone showing you around, you need to know something!! Anyone who accepts gifts or goodies from you for taking them hunting had better have a guide license or they will run amuck of the law for receiving renumeration for services without a guides license!!! Yup, you can't even buy them breakfast legally!!!

Maine has well over 1000 licensed professional guides!! We're not really impressed by the term prostaffers! That term only excites the 16 to 25 year old crowd watching the Jeff Foiles videos.

Sorry if I've rained on your parade but Leasing hunting rights is a real irritation to me and has no place in Maine!
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby bkmaine » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:34 am

I'm 27 (just out of your range) and I watch RNT-V (is that similar to the show you mentioned ?)... I'm happy to be in contact with this newcomer to the state. Try not to be such a conspiracy theorist and alarmist about Maine, it happens to be the best place in the world and won't be turned upside down so easily.
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Postby Prostaff85 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:38 am

You obviously have never left the state and know nothing about hunting becuase south of massachusetts you have to pay to hunt it has nothing to do with locking it for myself and no one else i would love to hunt with you or anyone else the term prostaffer isnt to impress idiots like you its to prove ive made it in the hunting world unlike you i get paid to hunt becuase i have put the time in and i have proven myself to people who matter i am a certifide guide and no one is trying to steal your hunting spots im just looking for the ability to be shown around in an unfamilar state. You obviously are guna get anywhere i the hunting world with an attitude like that calm down and ask questions before you go on a rant about something you obviousky know nothin about if you want to hunt with me at my spot i would love to take you out
Prostaff85
Newb

Postby Seaductor » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:19 pm

bkmaine wrote:I'm 27 (just out of your range) and I watch RNT-V (is that similar to the show you mentioned ?)... I'm happy to be in contact with this newcomer to the state. Try not to be such a conspiracy theorist and alarmist about Maine, it happens to be the best place in the world and won't be turned upside down so easily.

No Jeff Foiles targets the lowest of lowlifes and most impressionable to be his followers! If you like glassing geese at the local park for bands and then shooting them with a pellet gun to fatten your lanyard, Jeff's your hero!! Probably making public apperances not that he's out of prison for wildlife violations!! He used to be a spokesman for "final approach" F/A gear.. I won't own any of their crap!! He was their big time prostaffer!! Someone wasn't doing their due diligence on that boy!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby RedDog » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:43 pm

Prostaff85 wrote:I am a pro so if you have never limited out in your lifetime maybe a good time to meet up with someone and get some advice

Lighten up, Francis.
RedDog
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:00 pm

Prostaff85 wrote:You obviously have never left the state and know nothing about hunting becuase south of massachusetts you have to pay to hunt it has nothing to do with locking it for myself and no one else i would love to hunt with you or anyone else the term prostaffer isnt to impress idiots like you its to prove ive made it in the hunting world unlike you i get paid to hunt becuase i have put the time in and i have proven myself to people who matter i am a certifide guide and no one is trying to steal your hunting spots im just looking for the ability to be shown around in an unfamilar state. You obviously are guna get anywhere i the hunting world with an attitude like that calm down and ask questions before you go on a rant about something you obviousky know nothin about if you want to hunt with me at my spot i would love to take you out

Are you a real Maine Guide? I doubt it!! I hope your creds aren't from south of the Mason Dixon line!! States like Florida and Georgis where any swinging dink can declare himself a guide and get some business cards printed up for $9.99 on the internet!

I've only spent the last 12 years in Maine so I can still breathe through my nose! :lol3: Before that I lived below that magic "south of Massachusetts"area your referred to!! I've hunted and fished a lot of this country! 2 Turkey grand slams will testify to some of that travel on their own. Aleutian Cacklers, Lessers, Pintails and White Fronts tell about a few more places south and west of Maine.

What really bothers me about leasing is my experience with how it shut down a lot of access where I hunted pheasant in Iowa for 20 years, 1978 to 1998. I know a little bit about the down side of leased land from my experience out there!!!! When I started going out there, leased land for hunting was unheard of. Over the 20 years that I went out, more and more property got leased up by guys with money. By the time I quit going, it was getting like South Dakota where even in the 1970's, the farmer wanted $100 a gun for the day. That pretty much sucked for the working guy!!

If I'm defensive about keeping the status quo in Maine, It's because I've seen it happen!

My acreage bordered a nice dairy farm in Connecticut. I was friends with the Farmer and his family and had permission to hunt there for several years. Then one year, a swinging dink (and former friend) that I worked with got some of his gun club buddies together and tossed the farmer $1000 for hunting rights. 'The landowner thought he could still give permission to friends like me who had hunted it for years. Wrong! The lessees had a big confrontation that almost came to blows with another user group. No lease was ever signed. After a shouting match and threats to the farmer by the 8 guys with the lease in the barnyard, The landowner had had enough. Now nobody hunts that property but family!!!

Where leasing isn't required, it shouldn't be promoted!!

PS, I have no ambition to get anywhere in the hunting industry!! I'm retired and use my Social SecurIty check to pay myself to go hunting!! Hey, by the way Thanks for paying into it so that to keep me hunting and eating breakfasts at the local hash house after hunts !!!! You know it won't be there by the time you retire!!! I'm enjoying it for you now!!! :beer: :lol3:
Seaductor
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:01 pm

RedDog wrote:
Prostaff85 wrote:I am a pro so if you have never limited out in your lifetime maybe a good time to meet up with someone and get some advice

Lighten up, Francis.

And it's RED DOG for the win!!!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:48 am

Prostaff85 wrote: Like I said before I am bit looking to steal spots here just trying to get a layout of the land meet some farmers get some leases locked up

How your statement reads to me:

Show me a good spot, (Best if it's one that you scouted your a** off for and burned a few hundred dollars in gas money to find!)
Once you've zoned me in, I'll come back and tap your landowner for permission or better yet, flash some green and lock it up effectively cutting you off my new birds!!!!

There are places for guys who want to break out their wallet for private shooting! They're called hunting preserves where the mallards are raised and fed on a pond then released and run off. When they come back, it doesn't matter if you can blow a call or not!! They are going to land in your corn filled blind site. A lot of Prostaffers build their rep at places like that!!! Baited duck clubs, Baited deer sites in Texas with a high house heated blinds, baited hog hunts, etc.
:welcome:
Seaductor
hunter

Postby Prostaff85 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:26 am

Ok now that the post menapausal old man has had time to vent lets get back on topic...... Like i said before if there is anyone in Oxford county or near it that would like to meet up maybe for a coffee no where near your huntin spots and show me some ways in which mainers handle hunting ill pay for the coffee lol looking to learn from a local the area In Exhcnage for maybe hunting with me i am looking for someine who is not a salty dog whos past his prime and doesnt know how to hunt so if thats you stick to posting elsewhere thanks
Prostaff85
Newb

Postby Dogman » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:45 am

If it wasn't for the huge pay and benefits package I don't think I would be doing this moderator thing. :no:

To begin with,I've seen better first posts from a new member.Advertising yourself as a prostaffer with goodies to hand out in exchange for favors is something you should refrain from.If you opt to be a sponsor that's different.Just because you didn't mention who you are prostaff for doesn't mean you are not advertising.Lets leave that out from now on.Also,as previously mentioned you are on less than solid legal ground with that approach.

If you want to understand how things work in Maine,follow your own advice,ask questions and wait for answers.Announcing you will be locking up leases in a part of the country that despises them is the best way I know of learning the hard way.Had you asked you would have found out ahead about how strongly they are resented here.

As for insults and counter insults,personal flaming is not allowed,lets ALL leave that behind.NO exceptions,otherwise this thread is locked/deleted.

Lets take this as a learning experience and adjust accordingly.This is not open for debate or complaint.Play nice.
Thank you all for your cooperation.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Seaductor » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:57 am

Dogman, Sorry for my part in this discussion!

Prostaffer85: I sincerely hope you packed your woolies when you moved to Maine. You're gonna need them!

Seaductor
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:48 pm

Got your back Sead.... Leases are the worst thing that ever happened to 'hunting'. They are getting into CT now and keep pushing northward. We need to keep these 'shooters' out.

And the prostaff crap..........you can keep all the 'freebies', because a real waterfowler (as in this group of comrads on DHC) doesn't need a crappy call or a lanyard or some trinket.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby maineducker » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:51 pm

Pro Staff = EGO. I think he proved that in his first two posts. Unreal. :no:
maineducker
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:54 pm

Prostaff85 wrote: if you have never limited out in your lifetime maybe a good time to meet up with someone

I've been waterfowling for 30+ years and have never cared whether or not I limit out. That's not why most of us hunt. See my sig line. I'm with you other Mainers, even though I am a flatlander. :lol3:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:21 pm

another flatlander posting my support for Mainers keeping control of their traditional hunting spots...maintaining positive relationships with farmers/landowners. :thumbsup:
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby puddleduck » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:08 pm

My thoughts on most pro staffers :lol3: :lol3: . Anyone can be on pro staffer. Know a couple of them myself they get to spend a couple of weekends promoting products at Cabelas get 10% off and get a few stickers. Their used to be a hilarious video on here about Prostaffers but kind find it. I am with you Seaductor.
puddleduck
hunter

Postby rerun » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:40 am

OMG....Cabelas offered me a sticker for my truck once. If I had known that putting that on my truck would have made me a pro-staffer, I would have done so immediately. :yes: :rolleyes:
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone." Henry David Thoreau
rerun
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:20 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one on here who feels positive about what we have here in Maine! It's special and those of us who enjoy it want to keep it "The Way Life Should Be"
Seaductor
hunter

Next

Return to Maine Duck Hunting