Found some birds

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Found some birds

Postby ic3breaker » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:10 pm

So I only got out a couple times last week after work. No real success missed my only shot I had on a bird and couldn't follow up when the shell got stuck. But I did find a dead wood duck in one spot that someone had left on the water near a blind, I found another wood duck in the grass in a spot that someone had hunted the day before judging from all the shells I found there. I also came across a merganser that had been crippled and was swimming around unable to fly, went to put him down but he dove before I could load and never surfaced. I hope that with the wood ducks they just forgot as they were leaving, but not something anyone wants to see. Please maintain a count of your birds and retrieve them rather than letting them sit there to be wasted, and if you are going to shoot mergs don't just cripple them and leave them.
ic3breaker
hunter

Re: Found some birds

Postby Bunker » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:40 pm

Sounds like a case of mis-identification before the trigger was squeezed.

Sad... Even for the Merg

Sent from my pocket pop-tart via Tapatalk - now Free
Bunker
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:43 pm

Yikes...I'm glad you're not a member of PETA...talk about fuel for a fire there! Gosh...I can't imagine leaving a Wood Duck behind...those buggers are my all-time favorite eating duck! :eek:
R-Factor
hunter

Postby K.I. Joe » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:53 am

Very sad, no one should shoot something that they are not going to use.
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby ic3breaker » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:26 pm

I can't fault anyone for shooting a merganser, I've done it once just to see if they were as bad as everyone says the are for tablefare, and it was worse in my opinion. But if someone is going to shoot them out of dislike for the species make the effort to put them down. I'm thinking the wood duck in the grass was just forgotten, but I was only a 2-300 yards from the launch, so no excuse not to go back out and get it when they left. The one near the blind though was right in the open where you would likely set decoys, maybe it was crippled and swam over there after the guy left, or maybe he left it there. I don't know but I hate to see a perfectly fine bird wasted like that.
ic3breaker
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting