South zone opener solo success

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

South zone opener solo success

Postby D-Day » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:19 am

Went out before school this morning and managed to shoot a double on drake woodies out of first flock that wanted in.

One of them was the prettiest darn duck I've ever seen... If I had the money and it didn't waste the meat, I would get him mounted. Only one pellet through the neck and spinal cord.

I only set out half a dozen dekes and can't call well enough to make it worthwhile but I was happy with how I did in the hour and a half I hunted. Maybe not the best 'fowling weather, but boy, it was a beautiful morning.

I'll post pictures as soon I upload them to my computer.

Hope you fellow south-zoners had a productive and safe opener. :biggrin:

SRD
D-Day
hunter

Re: South zone opener solo success

Postby 733SubDucker » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:03 am

Good job! :thumbsup:

Some of the taxis around could comment on the bird. The only problem we have is that our Wood Ducks are here so early that they look good on the outside but have a lot of pin feathers underneath. Those pin feathers are hard to retain during the mounting process and that's why you see 'lumpy' feathers on many mounts you see around.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby native brookie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:02 pm

Be in touch. There may be a seat in a boat for you on occasion . . . . . .

My canoe is back at the double secret spot, and I might be convinced to give up the combination. There have been some geese, along with the usual early season woodies and teal. I'm guessing there will be more big ducks now that the pressure is on the nearby lakes.
native brookie
hunter

Postby MaineHunter » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Good job bud!!
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:33 pm

Nice job D-Day! A morning in the blind is always special- that's for sure. I've been hunting afternoons lately as my schedule has been allowing that, but I miss the sunrises!
R-Factor
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting