Work week hideaways!

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Work week hideaways!

Postby hurtin_honkers » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:18 pm

Now working the job that i do, i work 7-5 4 days a week, sometimes 5. That leaves me very few days to see the sunrise on the water! I found a little honey hole only about 5 minutes away from the shop, and plan on trying tomorrow. Does anyone else have these secret spots they can squeak into for an hour before work? Let me know!
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Re: Work week hideaways!

Postby bkmaine » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:59 am

I've got a couple of spots that I can get to, get set and sit down within prob 30 min of leaving work... also during early season when the wood ducks are here I've got a couple great floats or walks for jump/pass shooting, especially in the afternoon... Where are you located?
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:29 am

I live in waterboro, work in Gorham. You?
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby Bunker » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:22 pm

I've got one literally right around the corner from my office that I've hunted sporadically the last couple of seasons and have done pretty well at. Usually there is a bunch of Mallards in there and one I got there 2 seasons ago was my first banded Mallard. Also that season I actually saw what I believe was my first drake pintail. I didn't get a shot but it sure was a site from a distance. Last season it's where I got my first Blue Wing Teal well 3 to be exact. I'm hot on the trail of 2 others about 10 minutes away, one is legit by my standards(personally reading the ordinance myself) the other I have yet to read the ordinance on but I'm told that it's in a legal area. I don't feel comfortable unless I read it for myself or personally talk to the local PD because from what I see on Law & Order hearsay doesn't stand up in front of a judge!!! :fingerpt:

Those types of places are great so that when I'm forced to have to go the office at least it makes it a little more manage-able and the office lady loves to see my Charley and always has treats for him no matter how wet or muddy he is!!! It's also kind of funny to see the look on some client or vendor faces and even some of the new guys when I roll in in camo waders with face paint on, a dog that smells like bog water and a bag with ducks to go in the fridge! Thank God for non-traditional work environments or I'd be in the un-employment line!
Bunker
hunter

Postby MaineHunter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:22 am

I work right on the river in Westbrook and every morning when I work the day shift right at daylight there is a TON of birds flying upstream to the park, does that count!?!
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:24 am

God i wish.... I've seen more smokin toms in Westbrook than anywhere else.... And more eiders in Portland than anywhere else!
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby jperkins » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:43 am

Great post and funny reply Bunker :smile: Sounds a lot like my office in Topsham. It seems that when hunting season starts the in/out board at work has quite a few more "Working Remotely" updates. Fortunately we don't really have a set "work day" so it's not uncommon to show to a fairly quiet office anytime before noon. Glad we have a shower because I've showed up smelling like swamp water more than a few times.

I have a few spots in Richmond and Monmouth that provide some good shooting for those pre-work hunting days. One of the spots is only a 2 minute detour from my normal route, and I can usually be on the water and at my spot within 20 min of parking the truck.
I thought my calling would bring in the ducks, now I realize it's the sound of me peeing that works best...
jperkins
hunter

Postby Bunker » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:05 pm

So here's the first installment of my Work week hideaway. Wasn't a bad morning, whiffed on another flock of Mallards and the geese that came by wanted to commit but opted out while still outta gun range...it may have just saved a couple of theirs lives...at least I'd like to think so! Made going to work somewhat bearable!

Workweek Hideaway #1.JPG
Bunker
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:29 pm

good looking mallard. so many are still dirty.
733SubDucker
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting