Afternoon hunt 10/3 -

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Afternoon hunt 10/3 -

Postby D-Day » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:58 pm

I turned 16 in late november last year and I really didn't think it was smart to hunt solo around water that cold. This year, I'm really enjoying being able to sneak out by myself before and/or after school.

The water was glassy, the sky was clear, and I was sweating in a t-shirt. Not exactly ducky weather but I held on to my hopes because I'd been seeing local birds there all summer.

I set up on the point of an island in between a big river and a little back channel around 3:30pm with half a dozen dekes. I made myself a little blind out of that wretched knotweed and by 4:00, I was hearing quacks in the distance and soon enough, a dozen mallards drop into my spread. I shot a double(only my third ever!). One hen and one drake that didn't have much color yet(eclipse?).

Four shots this season... Four kills... Three drakes out of four birds...

I don't know where this streak of luck came from but I like it! :yes:

Hope you're all having a fruitful season!

SRD
Last edited by D-Day on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
D-Day
hunter

Re: Afternoon hunt 10/3 -

Postby MaineHunter » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:14 am

Awesome job bud! Your going to love being able to get out whenever you want and not have to rely on someone going with you. Sounds like your well on your way to becoming a great outdoorsman! Keep it up!
MaineHunter
hunter

Re: Afternoon hunt 10/3 -

Postby papageno » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:11 am

Thanks for posting this. It brings back memories of my first hunts at 16.

To this day, I love hunting alone. There is no greater connection with nature than being outdoors concentrating in the silence.

Keep posting. I like the prose-poetry, too - it enhances the story. Need some pics.
papageno
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting