Rachel Carson NWR issues?

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Rachel Carson NWR issues?

Postby Bunker » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:12 pm

Haven't been by any of my later in the season haunts in the RC. Was wondering if anybody has hunted or had any issues with access?

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
Bunker
hunter

Re: Rachel Carson NWR issues?

Postby MaineMallards9 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:05 pm

I deer hunt the one in my area and haven't had a problem with access yet.
MaineMallards9
hunter

Postby Bunker » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:12 pm

Good to hear, no new signage or anything? I've heard of some NWR's being posted and access being restricted and locked up but wondered how that worked with so much of it just being walk on land. Seems a very gray area since you've paid to be licensed and all. I haven't tried calling the refuge headquarters, but figured nobody would pick up the phone.

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
Bunker
hunter

Postby hobbsj » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:08 pm

I haven't been by my area yet, but when I called to double check the price of a permit, the guy that answered was knowledgeable. I don't know if they are affected by the shutdown though. I would check the wording on the sign too. It may be to keep non-permit holders out (ie I don't think you're not trespassing since you have permission to be on the land). I know parking is an issue for a couple of spots for me.
One thing duck hunting has taught me is that in prehistoric time, I would probably be a gatherer.
hobbsj
hunter

Postby MaineMallards9 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:53 pm

Went in today and there wasn't anything. I think its good to go. We did pay for the permit and if they were to shut it down they would definitely let us know but until then I am definitely going to hunt it.
MaineMallards9
hunter

Postby birdy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:34 pm

I stopped by Great Salt Bay NWR in Portsmouth and the gate was closed with the sign saying closed due to the shut down.
birdy
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting