Duck I.d. Help?

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Duck I.d. Help?

Postby hurtin_honkers » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:16 pm

This morning, I found a good slew of ducks, or saw rather. Only killed one, but anyways, I saw this duck. Now at first I thought it to be a commorant due to the size, and kind of the sound, but as it flew over, i believe I was mistaken. It wasn't shaped like a commorant, the sound it made was that almost of a hisses merganser, a very scratchy quack of a sort, and it almost had the body of a pintail? Just my quick analysis of something that happened it about 4 seconds, but maybe it was a pintail? Too cloudy and dark to see any color
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Re: Duck I.d. Help?

Postby 733SubDucker » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:51 pm

Pintails are smaller in body than a Mallard.

You may have seen a Common Merganser
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:19 pm

That is very true... Didn't think of that! I may have just thought I saw a pointy tail on it....
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby brownduck » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:42 pm

Could be a loon - young ones sound funny, and if the light isn't great, it could be hard to tell from a distance.
brownduck
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting