My near death experience for the season...

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

My near death experience for the season...

Postby hurtin_honkers » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:39 pm

Every year, something happens that usually makes me smarten up and stay on my toes. Like falling in a brook in 40 degree weather, getting lost right before dark in a new section of woods, or my latest.... Engine failure followed by extreme weather. Everything looked swell yesterday, I took my boat out for the first time all season, fired it up before I went, ran fine. Headed out, hunted for a while, picked up my buddy at a launch to hunt the afternoon. I got back to the spread and it cleared up, as well as starting to get windy. No big deal, just going to be hard for birds to fly. My buddy tool the boat out, to start picking up decoys and never got the motor started and with the strong wind, kept getting blown down the lake. Eventually he got out and pulled the boat along land. He eventually got to where the water was to deep, and we had to some how get the boat to the island we were on. We had paddles, and a trolling motor, but the wind was to powerful to use them. In the process, I went past my waders, and got soaked on the inside. We finally got to the island, picked up the gear, and that's when the rain started coming down hard, and the serious winds rolled in. At this point, I was soaked, getting freezing cold, it was pitch dark out, and I was starting to get worried. I finally fired up the motor, I noticed one issue was the tank wasn't pumping fuel, the ball wouldn't stay hard, and this caused the motor to only run as long as it had the gas in the line. I cranked it full throttle and headed as fast as possible out. It would die, I would start it up and go, in the process I ruined the throttle, so it now sticks in the open position, and I ruined the gears by slamming it into forward when at high rpms. We eventually made it back, and made it home. This may sound like one of the dumbest things you've ever heard but, we learn from our mistakes
Last edited by hurtin_honkers on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Re: My near death experience for the season...

Postby Baymen Moe » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:36 pm

FYI, getting birds moving with the boat is against federal regs, Just a heads up for you.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:06 pm

What Moe said.

And I'm glad you didn't do this in December. Glad you are safe.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby jperkins » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:28 am

Thank God you're ok bub! It seems that folks like us that spend a lot of time in the woods and on the water can easily forget how out of our element we really are. I dunked myself late last season and the cold set in quick. I've been carrying a set of clothes in a dry bag for years, never had a need for it... I was glad it was stuffed in the kayak that day.
I thought my calling would bring in the ducks, now I realize it's the sound of me peeing that works best...
jperkins
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:57 pm

1975 My gym coach , best friend and myself had a floating blind sink on us in Lake Champlain Dec. 16th.hunting blue bills..5 mile boat ride later..we literally had to "break off our clothes"--good thing Coach had a station wagon with a great heater-to the laundry mat we went ..we wore garbage Bags till our pants were dry--now picture that !!--where was FHV's or Yutube then ?? :lol:
decoycarver
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting