looken for ducks?

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

looken for ducks?

Postby Cpetit33 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:37 am

Coastal zones starting to slow down a bit for me thinking about heading to the waterboro area this weekend any ducks in around
Cpetit33
hunter

Re: looken for ducks?

Postby Cpetit33 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:47 pm

Or any parts of the state worth driven too
Cpetit33
hunter

Postby Bunker » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:58 pm

I'm a little bit further south than waterboro. The woodies are around saw and bagged my 1st teals this morning. Also some mallards and ringers kickin' about too.

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
Bunker
hunter

Postby Cpetit33 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:25 pm

Ya there haven't been as many teal this year were I am and my numbers aren't that great in my coastal zone spots
Cpetit33
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:27 pm

Hey now, you better be careful about stepping foot in waterboro! Unless its at a spot other than that not so secret lake that has the same name as that not so private community. But in all honesty, the past week, has been the worst hunting all year. Havent seen a single wood duck, and mallards are scarce, maybe its just my luck, but thats what i had seen
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby jperkins » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:06 am

I was offshore to Pond and Seguin Islands on Tuesday and noticed that there aren't many geese or ducks moving through. The weather up through Quebec has been junk for moving anything this week. Field surveys for raptors were very slow this week.
I thought my calling would bring in the ducks, now I realize it's the sound of me peeing that works best...
jperkins
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:15 am

Just think, if the season had started later you could possibly be shooting some local ducks still and not waiting two weeks in a duck desert for migrators to start arriving... hmmm
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:23 am

Colder weather coming next week. :grooving:

I hunted Waterville area last weekend (thanks John) a fair number of birds, 50/50 woodies/Mallards but not many wanted to play our game.
A Lab you train, a Chessie you negotiate with.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:54 am

Been here there everywhere--saw a huge flock of black Ducks this AM-total of --3--have not pulled trigger since opener. took 4 that day..big White ones with orange Bills --farmer said take em , as they waddled up to the bucket--used one of the farmers White plastic duck decoys from his wife's flower Garden.Looked like we had a pillow fight in the daisy's.
No birds down my way-worst I've seen ( not seen in years)--who the hell picked this seasons dates ??now the some of the Best time of season coming and sign says " Were CLOSED"..Being Retired and scouting every day --this sucks.We can't plan the weather but the dates --we can.. what about an early teal season -say 1 week ?? Youth day then straight season ??--At least Sea-Ducks are open..got old Rusty ready-new Forearm coming --plastic..this one won't rot off !!--hope my LA plan goes through -then to Fla. follow the Migration. I guess..sure has me puzzled :huh:
decoycarver
hunter

Postby MaineLotus » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:00 am

Rise and Shine Retrievers wrote:Colder weather coming next week. :grooving:

I hunted Waterville area last weekend (thanks John) a fair number of birds, 50/50 woodies/Mallards but not many wanted to play our game.

Despite the lack of decoying ducks, it was all worthwhile watching Skye make a Mallard retrieve. :thumbsup: My only regret is not having a camera, that spot is perfect to watch a dog work.

I scouted there yesterday afternoon, the numbers are improving. Several Mallards and a decent sized flock of divers in the distance, appeared to be Ringnecks.
MaineLotus
hunter

Postby mainewaterfowler » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:38 pm

ive been hunting the coastal water ways this year and pulling out decent numbers so far. im up to 20 ducks this year, bagged my first banded mallard opening day with a limit of ducks, and also got my first pintail in the North zone. Has seemed to slow down a little since the opener. Was lots of teal, woodies, and blacks, and mallards around, picked up a few ringers too.
2013 Season
9 GW Teal
7 Wood ducks
4 Mallards
3 Ringnecks
3 Black ducks
2 Geese
1 Pintail
1 Surf scoter
1 eider
mainewaterfowler
hunter