Ethics

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Ethics

Postby WoundedKnee14 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:12 pm

It seems like there's always a post on this forum complaining about other hunting groups, but I feel that this one needs to be posted. Two weeks ago, my father kindheartedly drove all the way down to Durham New Hampshire to pick me up for one of the few outings I'll get this season (freshman at UNH). We picked a prime early-season beaver bog that has yielded plenty of ducks over the past few years for a decent jump shoot.

The day went pretty well. Shot six ducks, mallards, woodies, and my first ever green wing teal.We like to keep the pressure off ducks as best as possible and will only hunt this place two or three times yearly. Around three pm. we heard a party start shooting from the middle of the bog. By six, it seemed like it was raining steel shot everywhere. Apparently they didn't know when legal ended either cause they continued shooting for another half hour. I must have heard between 150-200 shots from them.

When dog, father, and I made it back to the truck we met up with them. They had their ducks VERY well concealed under tarp and couldn't give me a straight up answer when I asked how many they shot. I regret not getting their license plate numbers. Another week went by and my father and I returned to the same beaver bog. It was completely different. Shells scattered everywhere and barely a duck around. One of the best places I knew to hunt ducks was now dead. Its this kind of morality that drives me crazy. Not only did they break the law, but they completely lacked respect for mother nature. People like them are why the wood duck population got frighteningly low several generations back. Now that my little vent session is over, please leave your thoughts on this matter.

Hope everyone is having a good, safe season
WoundedKnee14
hunter

Re: Ethics

Postby papageno » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:29 pm

Call the warden. they're obviously shooting the roost which always involves shooting late and is why shooting stops at dusk. likely over shooting,too. Had a very similar situation back in Maryland when I was a kid.... Last I ever saw of them fellers.
papageno
hunter

Postby RedDog » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:10 pm

Forget about that spot. Your "honey hole" days are over there. Time to find another.

But to be honest, unless you're a warden I'm probably not gonna tell you what we shot either.
RedDog
hunter

Postby native brookie » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:00 am

Every cell phone has a camera, and license plates are easy to take photos of.

I've called in several times on parties shooting early or late. I don't know if any of them got caught, but I do know that one spot where the late shooting was happening repeatedly got a lot of attention from both state and federal wardens a few years ago. I know I'm not the only one who called about that one.
native brookie
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:30 pm

Having retired from LE. Trail cams have many,many uses as well as Cell phones and other electronics Pictures are worth a thousand -guilty pleas.Then take the reward money and give it back to the fund.You too could be a good sportsman on north woods Law !!--snap pic.of the trash left behind --but at least report them..they will be caught.thay steal from everyone !! :hammer:
decoycarver
hunter

Postby JCraig12 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:45 pm

Never had to call the wardens on anyone yet. Came close yesterday though... If we wanna talk about ethics what do you guys think about a couple guys paddling through your deeks while the clock turned to legal shooting.. Some people!! :lol3:
2014 season
Duck- 42
Geese- 13
JCraig12
hunter

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:24 am

Forget about that spot. Your "honey hole" days are over there. Time to find another

Unfortunately that is usually the case. You might want to give it a couple of years and check back there again. I had a spot 2 years ago that got discovered by others. When I checked this year, there was been no sign of anyone having been in there. We hunted it the next day and had a good shoot.

I have called in many slob hunters over the years and as a result I have the cell phone numbers of 2 local conservation officers who have told me to call them anytime. You can't fix stupid but you can write them up.
Preserve game, use a well trained retriever.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:24 pm

I havent encountered extreme illegal activity yet.... Mostly people being extremely touch holeish... Excuse the near French, but at the beginning of the season i was hearing shots, thinking they must be duck hunting, same spot, couple days in a row, and they always shot past shooting time, sometimes upto 5 shots in a row, almost called the wardens, come to find out, it was someone shooting at the pit behind his house every day. But nothing highly illegal, maybe border line, but things that are easier to let go, and move to another spot rather than waste a morning arguing
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby native brookie » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:46 pm

My favorite ethical lapse ever was the two guys who came in on us on an afternoon hunt a few years ago. We were set up at a spot that wasn't quite right yet, but would be an hour or so into the tide. They came in, launched a canoe, and set up 150-200 yards in front of us. After shooting for about 90 minutes at anything flying within eyesight, they decided to go on a "jump shoot" and paddled around in circles in front of us putting up clouds of teal. Finally, one of the poor harassed teal noticed our decoys, circled, and set his wings to glide into them. Noticing the circling bird, the two guys in the canoe paddled like hell towards us, and at about 70 yards the one in the bow picked up his gun to take a shot at the bird. The gun was to his shoulder before he realized that any pellets that missed the duck would be aimed right at us.

Priceless.
native brookie
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting