Blaze Orange Requirements

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Blaze Orange Requirements

Postby hobbsj » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:50 am

So, I'm a little confused on this one. Do you have to wear blaze orange when jump-shooting ducks? I read the law as yes, but what I see seems to be different. I'm not talking about a duck landing 75 meters from your spread, but just out walking around stalking them. I see a lot of people without it. I'm talking non-deer fire arm season.
One thing duck hunting has taught me is that in prehistoric time, I would probably be a gatherer.
hobbsj
hunter

Re: Blaze Orange Requirements

Postby Bunker » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:17 am

A little confused with the post. "Non deer fire arms season"? Do you mean bird/waterfowl season? To the best of my understanding blaze orange is only required for duck hunters during the open firearms season for deer which this year starts Nov 2nd. That requirement is only needed while traveling to and from your blind or hunting area. In the case of jump shooting during open firearms season where you have no set area or blind I'd err on the side of caution and make sure you fit the blaze orange requirement for any hunter in that time period for the laws sake and for your own safety.

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
Bunker
hunter

Postby jperkins » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:14 am

"Waterfowl Hunters: are not affected by the provisions below while hunting from a boat, blind, or in conjunction with waterfowl decoys."

I wear one to and from the water during the firearms season - they can be a trigger happy bunch and the hunting day is a half hour longer for non-waterfowl pursuits.

If you're still-hunting ducks from the shore, not only are you required to wear blaze orange, but you'd be crazy not to. Many of the spots you duck hunt may very well be some of the best deer hunting in your area. I've seen deer, including a mature buck, the last 4 days that I've been out. With the dry forest floor and the mess of acorns in some of the oak stands the deer are almost too easy to pick out.

Which brings up the question: How many of you do your deer scouting in conjunction with a day out waterfowling? I'm in WMD 23 and have been seeing good #'s of deer this year. I'm by no means a seasoned deer hunter, so it may just be a matter of better locales.
I thought my calling would bring in the ducks, now I realize it's the sound of me peeing that works best...
jperkins
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:32 am

jperkins wrote:"Waterfowl Hunters: are not affected by the provisions below while hunting from a boat, blind, or in conjunction with waterfowl decoys."

There it is right there. Pretty straight forward.

That said, I bring blaze orange hats for my party when outside our blind picking up our spread regardless (during firearms season for deer).
Last edited by 733SubDucker on Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby hobbsj » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:25 am

Thanks. And I should have phrased it as non-firearm season for deer. For example, if I went out today to jump shoot would I need orange? I always wear it during firearm deer season. And with the quote people are citing, it seems like an assumption based off of omission, and I believe that law says during firearm season in the blaze orange requirements. And with that technicality, my shotgun is a firearm. So, not trying to split hairs, I just don't want to get a ticket because I miss-interpret the law. Thanks.
One thing duck hunting has taught me is that in prehistoric time, I would probably be a gatherer.
hobbsj
hunter

Postby jperkins » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:24 am

Good on you hobbs to make sure you are within the law; aways better to err on the side of safety. As for today, it depends on what zone you are in. If you are in a zone that is open for moose right now (WMD's 1 through 14, 17 through 19, 27, 28 - Oct 14th - Oct 19th) then you have to wear blaze orange UNLESS you are hunting from a blind, boat, or in conjunction with decoys.

And it is based on ommision; the second paragraph from Maine's blaze orange law omits waterfowl hunters from the blaze orange law.
I thought my calling would bring in the ducks, now I realize it's the sound of me peeing that works best...
jperkins
hunter

Postby RedDog » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:25 am

You're fine without it, except during firearm season for deer.
RedDog
hunter

Postby hobbsj » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:35 am

Great, thanks guys. I appreciate the help.
hobbsj
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting