chokes

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

chokes

Postby Cpetit33 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:52 pm

Looking for some good chokes any recommendations?
Cpetit33
hunter

Re: chokes

Postby cjg » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:52 am

I had a patternmaster that didn't pattern well, just bought a kicks hi flyer that I'm not that impressed with. My factory modified still works the best for me.
cjg
hunter

Postby rerun » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:04 am

I've also tried several aftermarket chokes, they all now sit in a drawer. None work better than the factory Modified in my Benelli M2.
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone." Henry David Thoreau
rerun
hunter

Postby mtstringer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:58 am

This year I bought the Carlson's Waterfowl Choke kit for my Franchi I-12. The kit comes with 3 extended choke tubes close, mid, long range in a small plastic case. So far so good for a $90. Being that they are extend tubes it gives you the option to change your choke in the blind to what the birds are doing.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/rev ... -sets.html

Just my 2 cents

Mt
mtstringer
hunter

Postby jperkins » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:40 am

I saw one of some of those Carlsons at BPS- the Blackcloud optimized ones. One thing will never change for us duckers, trying to find the balance between gimmick, solid design, and the ever popular, "don't care if it works, it looks cool!"

The concept seems solid, but I just couldn't come to terms with the cost. The best way to find out is to buy one and get it out. Plenty of guys on here like rerun that may give you a deal on "drawer" gear. My factory full with #2 Blackcloud still gives me the best pattern- admittedly I have not tried many different kinds.

To note: a shop in Moultonboro, NH, Goodhue Marine and Firearms, sells any shells type/size you want for $1 per. The owner, Bret, was just as annoyed having to spend possibly hundreds of dollars to pattern his boomstick. I'm going to mention a loaner choke program to him. I bet he'd be into it.

Shoot, call Carlson's and ask them to prove it!
I thought my calling would bring in the ducks, now I realize it's the sound of me peeing that works best...
jperkins
hunter

Postby 682x » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:13 pm

I've patterned a lot of shells out of different chokes and agree that stock one's work fine and prefer nonported extended for ease of changing. I have Brileys for Benelli and factory extended one's for the 391 sporting(which come with gun when purchased). Using nothing tighter than mod.
Arnold Trail Trap , Skeet, and 5-Stand.
682x
hunter

Postby papageno » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:45 pm

Since all a choke does is constrict the end of the barrel a bit, it is hard to imagine any significant difference in brands.

Steel shot doesn't spread out much, so it patterns basically full out of any choke. Tungsten matrix is extremely sensitive to choke but too expensive to shoot.

I would suggest shooting imp.cyl. at ducks to try to get some slight widening. Save your money on the expensive tubes - it's a shotgun.
papageno
hunter

Postby Bunker » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:17 pm

papageno wrote:Since all a choke does is constrict the end of the barrel a bit, it is hard to imagine any significant difference in brands.

Steel shot doesn't spread out much, so it patterns basically full out of any choke. Tungsten matrix is extremely sensitive to choke but too expensive to shoot.

I would suggest shooting imp.cyl. at ducks to try to get some slight widening. Save your money on the expensive tubes - it's a shotgun.

Its my understanding that there is no set standard across any of the choke manufacturers. I.e IC= .xxx M= .xxx etc. there can be quite a bit of difference between manufacturers such as Remington and Carlson's and the others.

Through patterning I've found that my stock 870 full choke through my pattern down and left. I bought a aftermarket full and it was head on. Also shooting my 870 with an IM yields pretty much the same pattern as my 391 fully choked. So yes there can be a big difference between chokes, I'm not saying you gotta buy expensive chokes most guns come with all you need.

My rule of thumb (and I sure everybodies different):
IC - M = early season ducks over decoys

Then depending on how your hunting style changes over the course of the season, for me:
IM = mid to beginning of late season
F= Dec. into Feb.

Although that all being said I just bought a LR pattern master for my A400 and plan on shooting it all season after seeing the way it patterned this afternoon! Can't wait for the 4th!

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
Bunker
hunter

Postby cableguy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:12 am

I agree with 682x but another thing is the shells you shoot can change the pattern. I had a beretta 390 and it shot kent 2's and 3's awesome but out of my BPS it shot horrible. the BPS loves those cheap winchesters so that what i shoot out of it. the wad and barrel does most of the patterning. i shot ic all season last year from eiders at 40yrds to teal at 10yrds Most people miss not because of the choke....You got to put the pattern where they are going not were they have been! I think the tighter you choke the more you can string out your pattern. Each gun patterns different even if it same brand of gun. Chokes is a booming industry(no pun intended)....but changing shells is cheaper.. my 2cents..
cableguy
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:02 am

Bunker wrote: I just bought a LR pattern master for my A400 and plan on shooting it all season after seeing the way it patterned this afternoon! Can't wait for the 4th!

Somebody is a high roller! How sweet is that A400? Seems to be a NICE gun. :thumbsup:
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby Bunker » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:08 pm

733SubDucker wrote:
Bunker wrote: I just bought a LR pattern master for my A400 and plan on shooting it all season after seeing the way it patterned this afternoon! Can't wait for the 4th!

Somebody is a high roller! How sweet is that A400? Seems to be a NICE gun. :thumbsup:

A poor man can't afford junk! Since it was the first long gun I've ever bought myself since all my others are hand me downs or have been gifts I figured I'd do er up right! Oh it's sweet! It mounts, swings and shoots like a dream!

Bunker
hunter

Postby papageno » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:46 pm

I'd rather spend money on Tungsten matrix.... but I'm too cheap for either.
papageno
hunter

Postby Bunker » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:12 pm

cableguy wrote:I agree with 682x but another thing is the shells you shoot can change the pattern. I had a beretta 390 and it shot kent 2's and 3's awesome but out of my BPS it shot horrible. the BPS loves those cheap winchesters so that what i shoot out of it. the wad and barrel does most of the patterning. i shot ic all season last year from eiders at 40yrds to teal at 10yrds Most people miss not because of the choke....You got to put the pattern where they are going not were they have been! I think the tighter you choke the more you can string out your pattern. Each gun patterns different even if it same brand of gun. Chokes is a booming industry(no pun intended)....but changing shells is cheaper.. my 2cents..

Unless the $30/10 type shells are the only ones that shoot well in your gun.....

Speaking of shells has anyone seen or know what happened to the remington sportsman hi-speed steel line? All I can find nowadays in my area is the hypersonic ones. The 1 1/8oz #2's at 1550fps were the best shooting shells through any of my guns regardless of chokes. Which is why I've started playing more with chokes since I've switched over to the Kent Fasteel. Don't get me wrong it shoots well but not as well as the remingtons did at least for me.

Bunker
hunter

Postby papageno » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:55 am

To the new guys having problems with their shooting.

It's not entirely your fault. Steel shoots very tight patterns no matter what choke you use, so you have to be very precise. Lead shot was much easier to learn with. Tungsten matrix has a wide pattern in an IC and hits hard, it's almost too easy (better than lead ever was). It's the difference between hitting a flying duck with a soft ball or a medicine ball. Lead was like a basket ball.

Although there's not much you can do about it - on the bright side at least the new high speed steel is now lethal. If you had started hunting 20 years ago, you likely would have quit.

Also, Bunker is right - the faster 1 1/8 loads are better than the slower 1 1/4 loads. Steel is only lethal because it has been hyper charged. Its power is derived from its speed (and it looses it quickly). Since the pattern is tight anyway, the speed is more important. They kill clean up to 45 yds (plenty well enough for ducking). I have not tried the latest super hyper charged shells - I would think they might add a little bit to range as does larger shot.

Folks patterning their guns on paper need to remember that just because a pellet on the edge shoots a hole through the paper, does not mean it will kill a duck.... only the center of the pattern will.
papageno
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting