Hunting the Mid-Atlantic

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Hunting the Mid-Atlantic

Postby jperkins » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:12 am

I've got to head down south in a few weeks to continue some work along the coasts of DE, MD, VA, and NC. Every time I go down that way I find myself wishing I had set a hunt up. I know those guys have to deal with leases, lotteries, and a host of other issues that we are lucky enough to leave at the NH border. Any advice on getting' in where I fit in down there? I'd prefer a non-"guided" hunt and less birds than the other way around. Even worth it? I plan on posing the inquiry in the respective state forums, just trying to get an idea of what to expect.
I thought my calling would bring in the ducks, now I realize it's the sound of me peeing that works best...
jperkins
hunter

Re: Hunting the Mid-Atlantic

Postby RedDog » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:36 am

I went to NC in Jan a few years ago, and had a good guided diver hunt on Pamlico Sound. BTW, Mainers aren't considered "yankees" down there. I was told we're from too far north.
RedDog
hunter

Postby 1187 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:38 pm

I've hunted the eastern shore of VA every year for as long as I can remember, luckily on my families land, with that said there are a bunch of public lands and DU projects to hunt that look sweet if you do some research. I would hunt the shore side as opposed to the atlantic side until late season.
hunter

Postby jperkins » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:30 pm

Right on reddog. Last time I was there they gave me a rental with NY plates. In retrospect I'm glad I didn't try to set a hunt up then.

1187 thanks for the info.
I thought my calling would bring in the ducks, now I realize it's the sound of me peeing that works best...
jperkins
hunter

Postby papageno » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:50 pm

I worked for the MD DNR in the 90's on the eastern shore. PM me when and where you'll be. You're welcome to my spots as I won't be needing them any more. I 've read the forums from down there... It won't help you much.
papageno
hunter

Postby jperkins » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:09 pm

Thanks papageno. I'll be sure to get in touch.
jperkins
hunter

Postby papageno » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:57 pm

J, I've also been hunting Jersey for the past six seasons and would never go back to public hunting in MD - except, maybe, for a canvasback hunt.
papageno
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting