Sea duck report?

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Sea duck report?

Postby mainewaterfowler » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:02 pm

Heading out sea ducking this weekend while the regular duck season is on hold. Any one been out yet or seen many birds?
2013 Season
9 GW Teal
7 Wood ducks
4 Mallards
3 Ringnecks
3 Black ducks
2 Geese
1 Pintail
1 Surf scoter
1 eider
mainewaterfowler
hunter

Re: Sea duck report?

Postby flylineguide » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:58 am

You should go scout on the water its the most effective way.
Puddlers,Divers,Seaducks. Thank goodness I live in Maine. Stripers,bluefish,tuna. Inland trout,salmon,and rivertripping.
flylineguide
hunter

Postby jperkins » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:50 am

I was out at Seguin last week and saw some pretty decent rafts of ducks. I've never been sea duck hunting so my " decent" may have no real bearing. The pile off Pond Island was roughly 300 birds. Along with many other smaller groups scattered here and there.
I thought my calling would bring in the ducks, now I realize it's the sound of me peeing that works best...
jperkins
hunter

Postby jperkins » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:20 am

Ps. I always thought that a blind that looks like a rock would be killer out there. They probably already exist. Anyone got pics?! Are blinds necessary?
I thought my calling would bring in the ducks, now I realize it's the sound of me peeing that works best...
jperkins
hunter

Postby flylineguide » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:19 pm

The blue pages where spots are named :mad:
Puddlers,Divers,Seaducks. Thank goodness I live in Maine. Stripers,bluefish,tuna. Inland trout,salmon,and rivertripping.
flylineguide
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:54 pm

I knew you were gonna get flamed for that one JPerkins! :hammer: :tongue: :rolleyes:
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby RedDog » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:03 pm

I'm not sure why this happens every year. I guess this time it's because:
jperkins wrote:I've never been sea duck hunting so...

Race you lurkers there!
RedDog
hunter

Postby jperkins » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:07 pm

Sorry... I have NFC what you're talking about.
jperkins
hunter

Postby 682x » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:00 pm

Boats on and ready to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ID 10 T
Arnold Trail Trap , Skeet, and 5-Stand.
682x
hunter

Postby tgs » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:05 pm

Listing hunting areas on an open forum just doesn't go over well. If somebody wants to hunt a spot then they should scout it, not surf the hunting forums for free info. If you do feel compelled to answer the "where should I hunt" or "has anybody seen any birds" questions, send the person a p.m.

I'm sure the places you listed are all common/public areas but no need to broadcast it on an open forum. Just my two cents and no, I don't hunt any of them. Just think of it as someone posting where you hunt ducks, deer, fishing, it's all the same.

Have a great season.

To the original poster, If the weather permits, you can usually find birds just about anywhere along the coast, just be safe and smart, the ocean is a lot different than the marsh. Good luck.
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby jperkins » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:49 pm

Ahh yes, I see. And although I disagree, I appreciate that one may not want that posted publicly. Thank you for the kind explanation.

@mainewaterfowler- Forget my original post- those were abbreviations for Pondaharleau and Seguineeweaver Island. If you head to the coast you may see waves, rocks, and things that look like ducks.
jperkins
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:27 pm

My Favorite Duck Hunting spots and this I will SHARE--" Where the Birds ARE "-( they are called Migratory for a reason !!! )--and you can Google this on Google Map--look for -( The -X-)-that's where you will see my blind, Boat and Decoy spread,all set up and the coffee's on -- Have a seat load up and relax--there will be others showing up so get a good shooting seat !!--mines the recliner .. :moon: full moon is for migrating !!
decoycarver
hunter

Postby papageno » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:17 pm

I've never been eider hunting from a ledge either. Do they all fly into 10' breakers and swim into the calm lees? Harder than finding them is figuring out how to definitely survive a hunt :eek: . I'll take a guide (for the first time and, hopefully, not last time in my life) or stick to the marsh.
papageno
hunter

Postby cjg » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:29 am

It's like anything, use some common sense, watch the weather. Any duck hunter who hasn't hunted the ocean at least once needs to try it. We saw 500-600 birds last Saturday and I thought it was a really light day compared to what you will see later in the year. We did see a small flock of Brant that weren't in season that was pretty cool, first time I've seen Brant. We ended up with a few Eider.
cjg
hunter

Postby mainewaterfowler » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:30 pm

Was just curious what kind of numbers are around this time of year, I have my own hunting spots... I usually stick to puddle ducks around this time of the year and go after the sea ducks later in December-January, but because of the way they closed the South and Coastal zones at the same time figured what the heck... We saw some birds but not as many as i had hoped to see. We got a couple, an eider and a surf scoter. Didnt see any "long tailed" ducks at all. I dont know about you all, but I'm pumped for the season to open back up!! Best of luck to everyone out there, and stay safe!
2013 Season
9 GW Teal
7 Wood ducks
4 Mallards
3 Ringnecks
3 Black ducks
2 Geese
1 Pintail
1 Surf scoter
1 eider
mainewaterfowler
hunter

Postby Bunker » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:42 pm

Glassed my work week hide away today only thing that was home that I could see were 3 big beautiful Mallards. All with nice plummage and double curls only made me wonder what was out of sight in amoungst the reeds. The 4th can't get here fast enough!

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
Bunker
hunter

Postby Hutch25 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:57 pm

I am getting reports that the numbers in the Deer Isle area have crashed- literally 2 birds in the entire Reach last weekend. ( A friend ran the length in his boat- didn't set up anywhere) My personal spots have NO birds. I am actually considering a big change and hunting the southern areas near Casco Bay.... or, maybe try as far outside as I can get. Also, I will give it 2 more weeks before I decide if this year is a washout.

Hutch
Hutch25
hunter

Postby Cpetit33 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:59 am

Saw a lot of birds today out off kennebunkport
Cpetit33
hunter

Postby mainewaterfowler » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:53 pm

Yeah i cant wait for the 4th. Ill have to do some scouting and try to find where the birds are at for the second opener. Got a good report from a friend so we shall see what the second season brings for us.
2013 Season
9 GW Teal
7 Wood ducks
4 Mallards
3 Ringnecks
3 Black ducks
2 Geese
1 Pintail
1 Surf scoter
1 eider
mainewaterfowler
hunter

Postby jperkins » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:34 am

Big groups of mallards, eiders and scoters in the downeast area.
jperkins
hunter

Postby papageno » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:40 am

A party south of Casco shot eiders, scoters and squaws this morning. they reported seeing lots of squaws.
papageno
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting