a little help in a launch site

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

a little help in a launch site

Postby toolmaker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:02 am

Hello guys, I am coming lower NY , up to the "York" area to buy some goose decoys, and since it is such a long trip I want to add in a few days of eider-scoter hunting time as well. The guy I am buying the decoys from , doesn't hunt seaduck and really cant help much on where to go or where to launch. I have decided to just hunt somewhere in the Casco bay area. because I don't want to hunt open ocean, I like the safety of all the islands the casco bay area has... to get out of a sudden blow if need be. aslo help to find a lea to set up in easier.. I have hunted seaducks for a long long time, I have the rig I have the boat, I just need a little special help on the best launch that close to typical seasonal gunning. It will probably be the only trip of the year to maine...so I wont be pounding it!! I normally just go to RI for eider, and I hunt CT for all the scoter I need.. I have hunted four times off the maine coast with Bill Wasson up in Thomaston area , many years ago...so I know kinda what to expect. Might it be worth the time to do a ferry ride to one of the outer islands?

I figure it will be a Friday-Saturday hunt.

you can PM me if you have any info , if you like.
happy hunting guys!

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Re: a little help in a launch site

Postby Maineduckhunter » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:27 pm

Do NOT hunt Casco bay out of Portland, they will send the army out after you, don't ask how I know, just don't do it.
Maineduckhunter
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:56 pm

would you know if there is a fee or a permit needed to launch at Falmouth landing??

thanks

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby native brookie » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:47 pm

Information on Maine boat launches may be found here: http://www.maine.gov/doc/parks/programs/boating/sitelist.html

There are links to boat launch sites sorted in various ways, as way as a Google Earth layer. As I recall, there is information on whether fees are charged.

Just a note: this includes only sites the state of Maine helps pay for or maintain. There are other sites that are private or operated by towns that won't be shown. But you should be able to find some spots you can get your boat on the water.
native brookie
hunter

Postby MaineLotus » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:28 am

No fee at Falmouth, but low tide launch is difficult.
MaineLotus
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting