New Boat

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

New Boat

Postby yellowbill » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:52 pm

After only one season of duck hunting I am totally hooked! I was only able to get a few but I learned a lot and hopefully next year I will have better luck. I am looking into buying a boat so I am not just limited to hunting from shore. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on a duck boats? I was looking at a boat called the final attack made by beavertail. If anyone has any opinions I would greatly appreciate the suggestion. thanks
yellowbill
hunter

Re: New Boat

Postby native brookie » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:25 pm

I know nothing about that particular boat, but I'll got out on a limb and suggest that you don't buy any boat until you've hunted out of one just like it and decided it will work well for you. (I've never been much good at following this advice. :oops: )

The other advice I'd offer is to look hard at what other hunters in your area are using. There's a reason that lots of folks on Merrymeeting Bay hunt out of low profile sculling boats or gunning skiffs while the guys chasing eiders are in TDB's, big Lund's, or something similar.

Before you spend a lot of money on a factory-made boat, keep in mind that an awful lot of Maine hunting is available via canoe or kayak, and you can find those used in Uncle Henry's or Craig's List for a few hundred bucks. Ditto for a light 14 or 16 foot aluminum boat with a 10-20 hp outboard, though those will be more expensive.
native brookie
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:43 pm

Excellent advice given above. I'm sure you have a few ideas jumbling around in your head for options. A few years back, I looked at similar style boats to the Beavertail as well. In the end, I decided it wasn't the best fit for me and went another direction. I've had a Old Town Vapor Kayak for the last two seasons and have been extremely happy with it. When I'm not field hunting, it's with me-on top of my Toyota. It has it's drawbacks and limitations for sure- but so does anything...and it fits 99% of my spots to a tee. I do very little sea-ducking or "big water" stuff, so no need for a motor on this end. Many of the spots I hike into have no access to even launch a boat- so chest waders or the kayak are king. It's amazing how many boat platforms are available to today's duck hunter. Each have their own specialty and abilities- and none are good at everything. I grew up on big boats with big engines, but really enjoy the simplicity and light weight of a good kayak now.
R-Factor
hunter

Postby yellowbill » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:59 pm

Thank you for the advice. I have been thinking about a kayak or a canoe also and even thought about fixing up the Jon boat I have back home into a duck boat. I thought id see what advice people had seeing how I am still new to this.
yellowbill
hunter

Postby Swanny » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:45 am

I fixed up an old job boat I purchased from my neighbor last year with a beavertail boat blind and it worked out really well for me. I think your boat should be based on the types of waters you have access to. If there is a boat launch, a Jon would be awesome!
Swanny
hunter

Postby hobbsj » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:12 am

Agree with what everybody else said. Think about what you'll be doing most. Some of the waters I hit don't allow motors, so that was an issue for me. I ended up building a Hybrid Prototype that has served me well (similar concept to the one you're looking at). But there are some issues. It doesn't paddle well which means river spots with anything more than a trickle are a no go unless its close to the access point or a motor is thrown on. Also, most items get stowed on the boat rather than in so that can be a pain. The layout abilities are great, but I just don't hunt areas where I use that option much so other features would be preferred. And also think about if you want to take a friend some day. That's a big downside to the layout boats. Just some food for thought as I'm tossing around building an inexpensive canoe to add to the fleet of one.
One thing duck hunting has taught me is that in prehistoric time, I would probably be a gatherer.
hobbsj
hunter

Postby mtstringer » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:53 am

Last post on the maine classified page #2

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=92439&start=25
mtstringer
hunter

Postby bkmaine » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:41 pm

This year I got an olds own square stern canoe rated for 1700 pounds or 850 with a 3-5 hp motor. I almost NEVER hunt alone so I needed something that could carry others and their gear. This boat has easily pushed my dad, my brother and I upstream with all of our gear using an old 3hp motor I go to n craigslist. The canoe I also go on craigslist, ended up spending a fraction of what I would have for a new or factory made "duck boat". You could probably hunt out of it with a home made blind but you couldn't hunt with all three prob only two... Which I haven't done yet because my hunting party is usually at least three. I love the canoe, the motor is sweet for gettin up and down rivers or around the coasts of the lake, don't need a trailer for it, fits on a roof rack, I would recommend it to anyone who isn't messing with the open ocean...
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Postby Hutch25 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:27 pm

Best advice was to try to hunt out a type of boat before you buy...and go into this knowing that whatever boat you buy will fit some needs, but not all. In time, you will need boat number 2 for some other application that this first boat does not fill. Then will come the need for a bigger boat...then a jon boat w/ blind,...then a big water fast boat...then a layout boat (this is the point I have reached)... Then you will want a better outboard for all boats. As i look outside, I can see about 2000 hours of income parked out there.

Did I mention I just bought a new boat this spring?

Good luck, and enjoy the dreams of the perfect boat.

Hutch
Hutch25
hunter

Postby Swanny » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:31 am

When I researched my first duck boat last fall, I went with a Jon boat for a few reasons. They are fairly cheap to purchase, you can use a trolling motor or an outboard to power it depending on how far you need to go and they are fairly easy to rig out. I used mine to fish out of last summer, purchased the beavertail boat blind and hunted out of it all fall. That blind can be taken off or put on in a matter of a few minutes. I have a 14ft and was able to comfortably hunt with 2 guys in it and a dog while carrying a couple dozen duck decoys and a half dozen goose floaters. I purchased some seat sliders so that I can comfortably sit in it sideways looking out of the blind and really helps level the weight while motoring to spots.
Swanny
hunter

Postby yellowbill » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:18 pm

Thank you everyone for your opinions its very appreciated. I think i'm going to find a Jon boat for a decent price an make it into a duck boat. Good luck to you guys who are still hunting.
yellowbill
hunter

Postby DaveC23 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:13 am

Has anyone done a homemade layout boat. I'm looking into making one and wanted to see if I could ask some questions. Specifically, did you use a local company to get your fiberglass material. I was thinking of using one of the plans found here: www.hybridduckboat.com

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Dave
DaveC23
Newb

Postby birdy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:09 pm

I built a hybrid. Bought the resin at Home Depot and the fabric at Hamilton. Fyi Hamilton also has color that you can add to the resin. I figure it cost me roughly $330.

Then Cabelas had a sale a I bought a beavertail with the wheels.......... for slightly less than $500. It was worth the extra money.

Not saying building my hybrid wasn't fun but.....
birdy
hunter

Postby native brookie » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:58 pm

I haven't built a boat, but I've glassed one and done a lot of fiberglass repair on canoes. You can probably find better prices on cloth and epoxy through the mail than buying locally. I used epoxy from RAKA composites; there are lots of other sources, too.

A great source for information on building duck boats is www.duckboats.net

If you search the forums there, you can probably find construction photos and discussion of just about any home-made duck boat you are interested in.
native brookie
hunter

Postby DaveC23 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:46 am

Thanks very much for the additional resources. I've looked into several different options when it comes to layout boats but I'm up for a challenge of making my own.

Thanks again!
DaveC23
Newb

Postby 870Duckman84 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:55 am

Hey ive been following this post for a while. New to the forum, been ducking for bout 7 years now. Learning as I go, each season you pick up something new. That being said, I hunt a lot, and Ive hunted out of a lot of different style boats. Biggest deciding factor in what you go with is where are you hunting, ponds, streams, rivers lakes and so on. Me personally, I hunt mostly out of a 16ft old town canoe with a side mounted 2hp motor. Great for streams, ponds and shallow water spots, allows you to pack in all your gear and bring a buddy. I also have a 17ft square stern canoe with a keel and 3.5hp motor, great for packing lots of gear and 2 to 3 guys, down side to square sterns specially with a keel is they are a nightmare to paddle. For bigger lakes and rivers I use a 15ft johnboat with 25hp motor with a boat blind i rigged up. Biggest issue with hunting from a larger boat i found is concealment takes a lot of work and extra time to hide a larger boat. But you cover more area, pack more decoys guys and gear. They all have pro's and con's. Just try to find what you feel will work best for the situation you will find yourself hunting in.

Im personally starting to build a new duck boat myself, a wooden marsh style boat. Fun little doit yourself project to pass the time. Lots of plans on the internet if you look around. Anyway good luck. Hoped that helps.
870Duckman84
Newb

Return to Maine Duck Hunting