Options on what I could have done

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Options on what I could have done

Postby hobbsj » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:34 am

So I got to my spot and set up this morning. Shooting hours roll around and a couple dudes come in walking and start my way. I call and wave. I yell and ask them if they're hunting b/c they're still coming in my general directions. Turns out they were clam digging. Dude apologized and tried to set up out of my way. He was still very much in my area and likely flairing ducks, but he was friendly and tried so that didn't bug me. Another dude comes up and sets up 50 meters away in my shooting lane. I think ***? So I approach the dude and try talking to him and he's having none of it. I let him know I've been there for over an hour and its ruining the hunting. "Well I'm gonna dig clams!" I keep calm and try to tell him I park on the main road as do other hunters in the area and its an easy signal to show somebody's there. I ask him where they park so I know to look there, knowing full well I'll be at my spot long before they ever drive up. Dude doesn't give two rips. I explain I'm trying to be amicable in this but dude barely acknowledges me. I'm close to just kicking his stuff over for him being such an ******. Not an ****** b/c he's not seeing things my way, but an ****** b/c hes being a prick. I contemplate calling the Warden under the law that prohibits the intentional interfering with somebody trying to legally take game, but I'm not sure if a circumstance like this would fit the bill. And again, his two buddies who came back over once I stopped hunting were friendly enough. I pack up and figure I'll go and talk to these guys a bit more. I mean they ruined my morning I might as well learn something about clam digging and piss off the jerk by not leaving. Ideas on how to handle this? Not like I could have outcalled him or flaired birds like if it was another hunter. It was the Rachel Carson area in Scarborough, so access is weird there anyways for hunters with the neighbors itchy to call the cops on hunters. Ideas? Trying to fight the dude is not my style unless I have to, and the police report wankers like this would file would haunt me professionally. Kinda at a loss for options.
One thing duck hunting has taught me is that in prehistoric time, I would probably be a gatherer.
hobbsj
hunter

Re: Options on what I could have done

Postby 733SubDucker » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:08 am

i believe that they would be interfering with your hunt for sure. That would tick me off too.

BUT...... the fact that they were clamming would make it tough for me to make that call to the wardens. farmers, fishermen, and others have to do their jobs, I suppose.

My first question would be what days are they typically out there. Maybe just try to avoid their work days next time?

Sorry about your hunt.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby Swanny » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:35 am

Call dibs on that spot as you are planning on "clamming" in just a little bit. I just need to finish my coffee first.
Swanny
hunter

Postby hobbsj » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:18 am

Yeah, I tried to get info about when they plan on being there. But it was made very clear that they wanted claim on the area. And I understand about the working thing, but on the same token, its public land (well, kinda with a permit). But the dude's attitude is what got me with his disregard for other land users. And, the Warden thing was a no-go also b/c I didn't want the other guys to have their day messed with. Honestly, if somebody tries to work something out, is approachable, or attempts to do the right thing, I'm good. I made a good hunting buddy when he screwed up one of my days, and we laugh about it now. But I may make the call if that guy blatantly does something like that again at another spot in the area.

Swanny, good luck. I tried jump shooting in another area and I did a good job of scaring away a bunch of buffies and blacks. They may have made their way over to your area laughing at me. And if you ever see my car at the access point, feel free to make your way in and set up with me. With the work I put in, somebody should get to kill a duck and with my aim, it likely won't be me.
One thing duck hunting has taught me is that in prehistoric time, I would probably be a gatherer.
hobbsj
hunter

Postby native brookie » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:07 pm

Clam diggers work hard, and when it comes to my fun versus their livelihood, they get dibs.

Digging clams is NOT hunter interference, and I'd be amazed if any warden interpreted it as such. Even if they would, I'd hate to be the one taking that case to court.
native brookie
hunter

Postby puddleduck » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:03 am

It wouldn't be any different then sitting on a ledge seaduck hunting and a lobster boat comes along pulling traps all around you. They are out making a living. Its their house in my opinion.
puddleduck
hunter

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:39 am

I have no problem with the lobsterman pulling his traps and moving on. But when the bass fishermen pull up and start casting into my decoys, things get ugly.
A Lab you train, a Chessie you negotiate with.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:34 am

Hey! I've seen hundreds of ducks near the clammers on the flats. They don't seem to bother them much most of the time unless they are motoring around

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby papageno » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:57 pm

Maine is One outdoorsy place. The least densly populated east coast state, and there are people everywhere. Jogging and bicycling pre-dawn. Walking dogs and gabbing in the woods in the freezing cold. Surveyers in the marsh, muskrat trappers. In october, i had a standup surfboarder come down the river past me.

Years of hunting jersey, the most densely populated state in the country... Never seen another person out there. Barely ever another hunter.
papageno
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:30 pm

they're only there on the low tide!!!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hobbsj » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:14 pm

So I contacted the Warden service on this one to see what the laws are. The response was that it is considered interfering with hunting. And if the talking with the individuals doesn't resolve the issue, to call the warden.

While reasonable approaches should be taken to avoid conflict, I just wanted to put that out there in case others run in to issues here or other areas. While it can be argued we need to find other places to hunt as these guys are working, they are also choosing to dig in a spot that is commonly known hunting area when low tide is right during the prime hunting hours. Decisions to be there are made by both parties. Agree or disagree with what the warden said, that's what it is.
hobbsj
hunter

Postby Cpetit33 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:45 pm

You have the right to call the wadens it that situation if you can't shoot he's interfering there are tons of claming flats out there he can move. He would be pissed if you walked up to him and started digging for clams two feet away from him its common courtesy. Also don't you need a parking pass to be on that land you could always speak the the people at rachel carson and if you find where he is parked you could write his parking pass # down and just explain the situation to them.
Cpetit33
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:23 am

Me I would take " rusty " my salt water gun --stick a set of clam hoe tines in the Barrel, put field decoys 30 to 40 yards -like they are eating what im digging up--then the ducks come in or the clammer comes over--pull the barrel back quick. leaving the "tines in the mud--voilĂ --your ready for action--Clammers and fisherman have a tough go to make a living--they are the best source of information, on where the birds concentrate--remember--waterfowl eat the clam seedlings the clammer has to plant so they want you to shoot them all !! Be a good sport and get to know them--even buy from them..they also have to take crap from the yuppies too--stand united. :thumbsup:
decoycarver
hunter

Postby 1187 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:25 pm

Second high tide hoss, clam digging for a living would suck and i bet i would be ornery as all hell too, had one just around the corner from me the other day, dog was growling, birds were flaring, but i got my black and skinned out. no biggie, just the local flavor.
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting