Here today, gone tomorrow

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Here today, gone tomorrow

Postby papageno » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:57 pm

These Maine salt marsh blackies sure move around. The were hundreds in my local marsh on Monday and Tuesday, and just a few today. it was a great time hunting them yesterday. I hope they come back.
papageno
hunter

Re: Here today, gone tomorrow

Postby almostgotit » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:45 pm

papageno wrote:These Maine salt marsh blackies sure move around. The were hundreds in my local marsh on Monday and Tuesday, and just a few today. it was a great time hunting them yesterday. I hope they come back.

Yea, I was out there yesterday (wednesday) and the King Tide had them all up on what is normally high ground feeding like crazy. I must have put at least 200 up at one point while sculling. Too bad they were all just a bit too far away... Did get one finally though.
almostgotit
hunter

Postby papageno » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:04 pm

Found another area of marsh that didnt have squat in it all week - a good bunch of mostly mallards moved in this afternoon..... Gonna wack them tomorrow unless they move on.
papageno
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:19 pm

I had about 300 geese on a field yesterday!! Went back this morning to give it to them!! Not a one around!! It's that time of year!
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:43 pm

Seaductor wrote:It's that time of year!

Is sure is. :crying: I hit a new spot on the coast this morning (that had been holding ducks)...ended up just sitting and watching my decoys for a while! :rolleyes: :lol3: Gotta love it. Every year is special, but boy it's been a tough one on the R-Factor duck-wise...right now I'm sitting at just about 50% of where I was at in 2011 or 2012.
R-Factor
hunter

Postby papageno » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:32 pm

Mallards didnt show at all today.
papageno
hunter

Postby JCraig12 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:36 pm

It slowed down in my little north zone honey hole real bad in the last week of the season. Hit a spot on the coast back home the beginning of this week and me and my dad got a two man limit of buffleheads in a bout three hours. Other than that we saw one GE and a few blacks, which where being wicked decoy shy for some reason. Waiting on Christmas time so I can go kill some sea ducks. Can't come soon enough!
2014 season
Duck- 42
Geese- 13
JCraig12
hunter

Postby MaineHunter » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:59 am

We pounded the mallards in a southern maine cornfield the week of thanksgiving, just getting back in from a week in the Caribbean and crossing my fingers the birds are still around!
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby almostgotit » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:27 pm

I went back to my marsh the day after seeing over 200 blackies and hardly saw any. Same kind of day too. Mmmm.
almostgotit
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting