unrelated to ducks but what the heck

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

unrelated to ducks but what the heck

Postby lbhansford » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:10 pm

hey guys,

a regular on DHC down in VA and the divers section but had a question regarding Maine moose. Was looking at possibly doing the Non-res lottery. Is there enough public land to hunt them without hiring one of the expensive guide services? lodging reasonable? I do not want to attempt it if I can't freelance it but its been a dream to shoot a moose. I do know the chances of getting a tag is pretty slim but if i start putting in now, figured i might get one in the next five years. any advice woud be much appreciated. :beer:
lbhansford
hunter

Re: unrelated to ducks but what the heck

Postby R-Factor » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:25 pm

Enough Public Land? Absolutely
Reasonable lodging? Yes. Any if you enjoy camping, especially so.
Your biggest challenging will be getting drawn in the first place as a non-resident. Other than that, a DIY hunt is very do-able here if you devote enough scouting time. Having participated in six moose hunts (shooting three of those), I will say that if you get drawn...and want to do it yourself, come prepared with plenty of equipment for retrieval. Did I say come prepared? :wink:
R-Factor
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:44 pm

thanks R- Factor, I really appreciate the advice. I dont mind camping one bit, actually would prefer it. So just so i am clear come prepared right? :thumbsup: I figure if i start putting in now for the lottery and acrueing points i may have a shot at one in the next 10 years.

when you say retrieval equipment, do you mean good field kit to quarter it and pack it out? I will admit the largest animal I have had to haul out of the woods would be around 180 lb white tail. Field dressed it and carried it almost 2 miles if that shows the willingness to overcome.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Cpetit33 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:01 pm

Ya if you get picked you shouldn't have a problem finding a moose on public land
Cpetit33
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:10 pm

thats good news. thanks for taking the time to lend some advice to an out-of-towner. Moose is definitely outside of my zone of expertise. All we mainly do down here is fishing, turkeys, ducks, and deer..... LOTS of deer, we get 6 deer tags a year and can buy additional doe tags 3 at a time for as many as you want in most counties. Even added an urban archery season to thin the population by allowing bow hunting from sept 1st- April 1st. still got them running around everywhere.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby Hutch25 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:19 pm

You also might consider which zone you pick- north is better than east, and west is better than mid Maine. You should understand that the road hunters (and I say this with no judgement) will be on the dirt early each day, as shooting a moose IN the road is optimum. Shooting a moose 300 yards off a road is a heart attack. Dad shot his in a cutting about 200 yards off the road, but had made an agreement with a logger with a fellerbuncher (a skidder with a claw on the back) to pull it out for him for a case of Budweiser. Deal.

Also- use care when picking a person to cut it up---you may want to drive all the way home with the moose whole, but we have a cutter in Houlton who de-boned the meat, packaged it, froze it and called us when it was done the next night- excellent. ( Get the hamburg made into sausage, as it is stellar)

Also--you can kill a moose with a typical deer rifle--- we used a standard 30'06...no need for 458 mags, or 7mm Mags.... just place your shot.

Bring a shotgun. Good luck on the draw- and when you come here, people react kindly to a friendly person.

Hutch
Hutch25
hunter

Postby I am A Redneck » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:59 pm

Hutch is right, but also they give out more permits in the farthest northeast corner of the state then they do in northern most central/eastern zones. I was on two moose hunts this year one in the northeastern corner of the state and one in northwestern corner of the state and each hunt was successful. I believe that if you are drawn in the northern half of the state and you hunt hard you have a high probability of getting a shot.
I am A Redneck
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:25 pm

Good luck on the draw- and when you come here, people react kindly to a friendly person.

Dont have to worry about me, I have always been raised to treat Everyone with the utmost respect especially when i am the visitor to YOUR state :thumbsup:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby native brookie » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:03 am

All the advice above is spot on.

Just to clarify, there actually isn't a lot of public land in Maine. However, there is a ton of private land, almost all of it commercial forest land, where the landowners allow public access including hunting and fishing.

It's a pretty unique and we want to keep it that way--so treat the land well and thank the landowner if you get the chance.
native brookie
hunter

Postby Bunker » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:46 pm

I know at one time non-residents were required to employ a registered guide for moose hunts. I've heard that there was a push to try and change it but am unsure if it was. Might be worth checking into.

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
Bunker
hunter

Postby flylineguide » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:29 am

At no time were non residents ever required to hire a guide for moose in Maine. Aliens yes, but sadly that law was repealed due to family ties across border in NB and by a handful of relatives who got on the wildlife council. Not shocking at all but NB hasn't reciprocated this act for USA citizens. Only time non resident must hire a guide is bear hounding. Good luck getting drawn.
Puddlers,Divers,Seaducks. Thank goodness I live in Maine. Stripers,bluefish,tuna. Inland trout,salmon,and rivertripping.
flylineguide
hunter

Postby 682x » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:08 pm

Good luck drawing a tag ,there's many many folks that are still waiting even after 25+ years. Then there's the family that pulls 1,2,or even more, as soon as they can reapply.
Arnold Trail Trap , Skeet, and 5-Stand.
682x
hunter

Postby hickunit » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:49 am

Good luck. Been putting in since I could, except the year I was in Iraq, I am 30 now and haven't gone one....
hickunit
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting