Old Dog - New Tricks

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Old Dog - New Tricks

Postby dirtboy101 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:29 pm

Can anyone who has experience training dogs help me? I have only been duck hunting for 3 years. I have a 5 year old Lab. He loves the water, loves to go hunting (duck or upland), doesn't mind gun shots, loves to swim and will retrieve anything that hits the water. Well, not ducks. I did not try to train him when he was young. Do you think I still have time. One of my buddies has a great dog that we typically take hunting. Is there a likelyhood that if my dog watches his girlfriend do the work for him he might get it? I feel like he has the potential but I did not know what to do with him when he was younger. What are your thoughts?
Dedham, Maine
dirtboy101
Newb

Postby Dogman » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:55 pm

Tough call to make and since I'm not anyones idea of a hot shot trainer I can only give you my opinion.Can you aquire a dead duck and get him to retrieve it? Practice in your yard and then go to a pond after he does well on land.Other than that all I can advise is to get him a retrieving dummy and have him fetch it alot.Don't use any other toys for this just the dummy.After he is used to it attach some duck wings to it.If you don't have any you could ask around.Also you can buy duck scent in a bottle from sporting goods stores like Kittery trading post.Place a few drops on the dummy and have him retrieve it alot.Praise the dog up and down whenever he brings back the dummy.Some of the dummies for sale look like ducks so you might want to invest the extra to buy one.
There is no garrantee this will work but it might.
You could also ask this question on the Dog forum here.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Maine Duck Hunting