Duck Hunting Forum banner

smelt camps

5K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  Seaductor 
#1 ·
what's the ice like and have they started dragging the smelt shacks out yet? i will probably give them a call after Christmas but i was curious and thought maybe somebody here would know. happy holidays everyone :beer:

#5 ·
papageno said:
Glad someone gets it.

Hysterical video… Thanks.

BTW, The last Zappa show was the best live performance I've ever seen…. or did I?
You haven't seen the best live performance until you've seen the professor in a smelt camp! Now that's a show! (No snappy comments professor or I'll have to dig up the video... :) )

Too bad you flew south for the winter papageno (well at least more south than here!) If you make it back up in February let us now and we'll get you out to the camps.

Professor are you callin' or am I? I would think it won't be long now as long as it keeps being cold at night. The cousins are in too they just want a bit o notice. It'd be nice to do a mass blast and a maine cast before the 2nd or even the 31st before my license expires either way I'll have new ones on the 1st. We may need to change locals though, never really felt IT at the place we were at last year. All I felt was the buzz and subsequent hangover!

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk

#6 ·
i will call them up after Christmas...im perfectly happy making a switch in location. i found out that baker's is opening up december 27th, so im sure all the others will be around that date as well. let me know which one you wanna try. i always like webbs

i just made about 30 lbs of deer sausage. turned out pretty good...hot italian, pretty darn spicy, too. go ahead and make a joke, bunker. anyway, when we go we're gonna have to cook up some peppers and onions and sausages for some sammiches. :beer:

#8 ·
papageno said:
im starting to get the concept of smelt fishing....

Ill be around for a bit in February - talk to you then.
the concept of smelt fishing, explained, leakily. on a night preferably 15 degrees or colder, meet up with a few good friends at one of the many smelt camps. bring along goose jerky or some venison as well as plenty of beer and a bottle of john daniels (when you have known him as long as i have you can call him john). eat good food and drink a lot, and talk whole lots of chit with your buddies and the people in the shacks around you. catch as many smelt as your liver/river will allow. when the fog clears batter and fry those little bastards. they are delicious. if things go well you end up with a hundred or more. if things dont go well you end up with a hangover and some great but foggy memories.

#9 ·
Professor_Leakey said:
papageno said:
im starting to get the concept of smelt fishing....

Ill be around for a bit in February - talk to you then.
the concept of smelt fishing, explained, leakily. on a night preferably 15 degrees or colder, meet up with a few good friends at one of the many smelt camps. bring along goose jerky or some venison as well as plenty of beer and a bottle of john daniels (when you have known him as long as i have you can call him john). eat good food and drink a lot, and talk whole lots of chit with your buddies and the people in the shacks around you. catch as many smelt as your liver will allow. when the fog clears batter and fry those little bastards. they are delicious. if things go well you end up with a hundred or more. if things dont go well you end up with a hangover and some great but foggy memories.
Yep that about sums it up. John will have to stay at home...heard his old lady a real you know what...maybe dr. Magillicuddy is free or that damn wild turkey he's a honey! :)

#12 ·
papageno said:
If I start singing the 'Sasquatch is my daddy' song, are you going to throw me in the hole or sing along?
both could possibly happen...still, if anybody gets tossed into the drink it will likely be me.

daffy... said:
the camps on the abby, cathance are out
thanks for the info...looking forward to getting out to the shacks. the smelt fishing in MA this year was pretty pathetic. i hope that isnt an indicator of what to expect in Maine this season.

#14 ·
Jimmy Worthings in Randolph ha about 20 shacks on the ice today.
Remember you can get pizza or Chinese food delivery right to your shack!!!!

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2

#17 ·
My son and his Rhode Island buddies had an 8 man shack last year!! Lots of Chinese chow, beer, pizza and cigars!! I got a smaller camp next door.. Cigars and me don't agree! LOL

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2

#20 ·
the gunnin part was good as far as the geese go, but the smelt were not cooperating. was still fun as hell. will try the smelt shacks again maybe in february.

bunker had thought maybe with it being a Monday, that the smelt shacks would be pretty tame, but the locals were out in full force and it was great times for all, despite the lousy bite.

#26 ·
Professor_Leakey said:
any reports from the smelt camps? im probably gonna head up again in about 3 weeks...bunker, take note. are the camps back out and are they catching any? nobody was catching them a couple weeks ago. im gonna give it a try either way...3/4 of the fun is just being there...
Noted! Haven't been home in a week and a half but from the reports its damn cold so I'd assume they are back out. Got your messages, I'm on a 2 hour time difference and balls to the wall 16hrs a day til the 3rd when I get home. I'll give you a call in the next day or two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.