smelt camps

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Re: smelt camps

Postby Bunker » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:28 am

Professor_Leakey wrote:any reports from the smelt camps? im probably gonna head up again in about 3 weeks...bunker, take note. are the camps back out and are they catching any? nobody was catching them a couple weeks ago. im gonna give it a try either way...3/4 of the fun is just being there...

Noted! Haven't been home in a week and a half but from the reports its damn cold so I'd assume they are back out. Got your messages, I'm on a 2 hour time difference and balls to the wall 16hrs a day til the 3rd when I get home. I'll give you a call in the next day or two.

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
Bunker
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:12 pm

gonna give it another try next week. anybody been out there recently? im dying for a pile of fried smelt.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:11 pm

report from my smelt buddies-there are non--biggest catch 4-he goes every other day/evening..he is saying somethings going on --he usually has great seasons.--anyone with info -thoughts.
decoycarver
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:57 pm

decoycarver wrote:report from my smelt buddies-there are non--biggest catch 4-he goes every other day/evening..he is saying somethings going on --he usually has great seasons.--anyone with info -thoughts.

my trip towards the end of february was not very successful. between the four of us (at times there appeared to be 7 of us) we caught 30 in one tide minus 2 hours (snow storm slowed us down in our travels)...and that was a good night compared to the past 2 seasons. there was a biologist there who happened upon bunker catching a smelt and proceeded to ask a few questions about our catches over the past couple of seasons. we have definitely seen the decline in the past few years...as has everybody else, seemingly.

here is the article. it is strictly Maine, but i have also noticed a sharp decline in smelt numbers in coastal Mass the past few years:

http://www.pressherald.com/news/Maine_smelt_camps_having_bad_season_.html?pagenum=%202
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:18 pm

Breaking news!! Smelting on the coast from Stonington to NH is closed for 90 days starting March 18th!! Protecting the spring spawning run!! Commercial Smelt camps on the Kennebec can remain open as long as they have ice and are exempt!!
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Previous

Return to Maine Duck Hunting