Breasting Divers

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Breasting Divers

Postby 682x » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:49 pm

So with a hand full of delicious hooded mergs to dress after pulling feathers for flys I dig in. After 1st one I decided to time myself on 2nd. 3 minutes, not bad I thought . I start by pulling feathers the length of breast bone . Then make full depth cut along inside of said bone . As you draw knife to hind end spin it 90degs. and follow ribs down to back. Now cut front of breast down from where you started cut . With breast now only held on by that pesky skin from the back grab meat only and gently pull and knife the breast meat off skin. This way I think works fast on all divers that have a skin that is glued to breast meat. I like to use a filet knife that is flexible and sharp!!
Arnold Trail Trap , Skeet, and 5-Stand.
682x
hunter

Re: Breasting Divers

Postby 733SubDucker » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:05 pm

More power to ya. :thumbsup:

Try not to lop off a finger or gag on the smell. :tongue:
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby bkmaine » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:26 am

I'm probably done for the year... But from now on if I'm not plucking them I'll doing this way

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1JoxTMp2w7 ... JoxTMp2w78
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Postby flylineguide » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:22 am

breasted when they are still warm
Puddlers,Divers,Seaducks. Thank goodness I live in Maine. Stripers,bluefish,tuna. Inland trout,salmon,and rivertripping.
flylineguide
hunter

Postby 682x » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:46 pm

They smelled no different than the Mallards and Black I did early in the week! I'll do them warm or cold that way . The video was ok but not for me nor some ducks that do stick like glue. I wish they were all like skinning a banana or Muskrat ,peel away!!
Arnold Trail Trap , Skeet, and 5-Stand.
682x
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting