Before or After a storm????

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Before or After a storm????

Postby Huntswithashorthair » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:41 am

We have one week left and a storm hitting the coast Thursday and Friday. I have heard arguments on why hunting BEFORE and storm is great and why hunting AFTER a storm is great. Personally, I have had success and failure on both but with one more "hall pass" to use, I want to make sure I am choosing the better of the days. Temp and weather is going to be the same for Wednesday and Saturday.

Anyone want to chime in???
Huntswithashorthair
hunter

Re: Before or After a storm????

Postby papageno » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:47 pm

I think this varies from place to place.
On Maryland's eastern shore, birds flock and roost out on big water estuaries and move into the marshes to feed. When the high northwest winds kick up after the storm passes, they will move off the big water, either moving to the lee shore or to feed heavily in the marsh. This is when the hunting is best. There are places where wave after wave of puddlers move into the marshes - the canvasbacks and blackheads, too, move a lot in these winds.
In Jersey, I have not seen that so much as the birds don't flock in rafts on the big water. However, Blackies and divers along the coast do fly a lot in the wind, probably for similar reasons.
Up in protected fresh water areas, this movement doesn't seem to happen, in my experience.

I would think that, if you are hunting along the coast, that birds will get moved into sheltered areas from bigger water. I don't know how pronounced that effect is in Maine or your spot.
papageno
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting