pit blinds

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

pit blinds

Postby Cpetit33 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:58 pm

are we aloud to build pit blinds on the marshes in Maine I mean there are tons of permanent blinds on the marsh but I never see anyone hunt from a pit
Cpetit33
hunter

Re: pit blinds

Postby papageno » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:50 pm

Exactly how do you plan to waterproof a pit in a marsh. Bring a backhoe and old septic tank out there? Carry a 2hp pump out in the morning? Ditch a pvc drain out to the creek.

There's a recent post on the Jersey forum I posted called Pond Box Peteā€¦ a simpler solution.
papageno
hunter

Postby NTaxiarchis » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:22 pm

First off, I don't know the law and it probably varies by town or region anyway. I can tell you that we were toying with the idea of sinking large plastic barrels in the marsh on private property with the permission of the landowner. We were told that the limit to excavation was 18". I'm not hugely fat yet but 18" ain't gonna do it.

Best

Nick T.
NTaxiarchis
hunter

Postby colin s » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:31 pm

I may or may not have tried this in a marsh somewhere with something I can only describe as loosely having permission to do so from someone who may possibly be in some sort of government employment and should probably know the laws pertaining to this sort of thing. That being said, a marsh is incredibly difficult to dig a hole in with a shovel. And it is very effective. And very messy to hunt out ofif not lined with something. There, that ought to clear up any confusion.
colin s
hunter

Postby papageno » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:51 pm

A plastic barrel will float up out of the hole... It would have to be a concrete barrel.
papageno
hunter

Postby DLHO » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:28 pm

My Grandfather had 4 hogshead barrels sunk in his marsh in Essex Mass. he dug them in and had stones under a false bottom and r-rods drilled into sides and driven in at angles- the was a tin pale attached to the inside to bale and a wooden cover to keep out rain- but it had to be baled- I use to stand on the bucket as I was just a kiddo- he had wooden goose heads used as stick ups around the hogsheads- I was down there-5 yrs ago and two were still there- lots of work!!! and not allowed on the Marsh near my Camp- Good luck-
DLHO
hunter

Postby papageno » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:36 pm

Just put your gear in a pond box and drag it out there.... Its so simple and comfortable. Sure, you can build a breakfast making machine, or you could just crack two eggs in a frying pan.
papageno
hunter

Postby RedDog » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:47 am

My earliest duck hunting years were spent hunting out of shore pit blinds on the grassy islands of Barnegat Bay in the late 70s. They were covered, so I remember Dad flushing out more rats than water. A guide would take us out in his garvey, drop us off, set the decoys, and sit on a nearby island for retrieving. Great memories, and very effective on the "broadbills".

I've toyed with the idea utilizing something similar here, but other, easier tactics are just as effective.
RedDog
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:51 am

here you go....
Attachments
Brantbox.jpg
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby DLHO » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:51 am

PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!
DLHO
hunter

Postby papageno » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:24 pm

Slack Tide's craft is beautifully built and well suited for back bay hunting. However, with Main's 8 ft tides and fast running marsh creeks it may be better for the conditions to use a light weight snow sled and fast grass sheets dragged across the sod.
papageno
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting