Surprises of the Season

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Surprises of the Season

Postby RedDog » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:27 am

I know it's not over yet... (If I'm going to wait all year for 5 months of waterfowl hunting, by God I'm gonna get my 5 months!) But it's a logical time to look back on the season, so far. We had some surprises in our bag this year.

1. First Shoveler ever.
2. Whitewing Scoter on a lake about 50 miles inland.
3. Two local geese (that were banded this past summer) in mid December.
4. A drake Wood Duck on the last weekend of south zone season.

Anything surprise you?
RedDog
hunter

Re: Surprises of the Season

Postby 733SubDucker » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:37 pm

First Snow Goose
First New Brunswick banded Black
First leucistic Mallard (white wings)
First goose that I shot that I had banded up North a couple years ago

My bigger firsts though were getting Little Ducker her first goose, first duck, first band, first bird on the wing.

Red, wondering if Emma and I, or Seaductor, had banded your late season birds.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:57 pm

Oh, and I was surprised by the lack of ducks and abundance of geese in the areas I hunt.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby RedDog » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:11 am

The geese were banded on the Androscoggin. Funny how things change from year to year - we have been surprised by the abundance of ducks we've been able to find. Already 50% above our best season total.
RedDog
hunter

Postby JCraig12 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:17 am

Nothing by me but my buddy shot an oldsquaw around Unity in a little marsh.
2014 season
Duck- 42
Geese- 13
JCraig12
hunter

Postby 682x » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:03 pm

I'll throw in a wigeon, and picking up a mallard that landed on pavement.
Arnold Trail Trap , Skeet, and 5-Stand.
682x
hunter

Postby mountainguy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:29 pm

First goldeneye.
-------------
2014: 2 Geese, 12 ducks, 1 grouse, 1 turkey
2013: 9 Geese, 31 ducks
2012: 10 Geese, 27 ducks
2011: 3 Geese, 20 ducks
2010: 5 Geese, 20 ducks
2009: 3 Geese, 20 ducks
2008: 1 Goose, 18 ducks
2007: 4 Geese, 19 ducks
mountainguy
hunter

Postby bkmaine » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:01 am

Didn't shoot a mallard
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Postby I am A Redneck » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:30 am

Mine would have to be a banded black duck that I shot on a quick jump-shoot right before sunset. My first band and an amazing experience..
I am A Redneck
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:05 pm

Great thread! :thumbsup:

Red Dog- Did you take your Shoveler at the very beginning of the season? I've seen Shovelers on a number of occasions here in Maine, but always prior to the opener. As for the Scoter...I can easily believe that one. There's a watershed that I've seen both Eider and Scoter in that's approximately 130 miles as the crow flies to the nearest salt water...funny stuff. The Eider was one or two years ago and the Scoter was this past season. And wow...that does seem insanely late for a Woodrow to be around. We had a hen super late up here this year, but my buddy who had been seeing it around the same spot figured it was injured...makes sense.

733 Sub- Congrats on the banded black from NB! I have two duck bands from NB and one from Quebec, but they were all worn by Mallards- no Blacks from Canada yet for me.

JCraig 12- Old Squaw huh? Who'd have thought Unity would be another sea duck hotspot? :wink:

682X- Congrats on the Wigeon! I'm slightly jealous on that one. :clapping: I've seen plenty of Wigeon around where I hunt, but again, usually before the opener. As far as fowl landing on roads..what a riot that is...I did that just once and I'll never forget it. I jump shot a marsh years back and zipped a merg when it went overhead. I can still hear the thud when that baby hit the pavement...too funny!

Mountainguy- Congrats on the first Goldeneye...beautiful birds. Ironically, I live right on the Penobscot in Lincoln- an area that used to hold a pile of them decades ago- but I see very few each year now.

I am a redneck- It IS a sweet feeling to grab a bird and find the bling-bling! Very nice!

BKMaine- While I did take a number of them, my Mallard count was way down from the previous two years as well. I found them in my scouting and such,but I just seemed to have a harder time connecting with them for some reason this year...maybe they knew I wasn't there to sit around and have coffee with them? :biggrin:

Like 733, one of my neat experiences from the year was harvesting a goose (on opening day!) that I handled with the rest of the banding crew during the summer of 2010. It didn't register with me until I later got looking back at dates, records, and such that this was one of those big honkers we fitted with jewelry on that hot summer day three years back. All in all, a fabulously fun season.
R-Factor
hunter

Postby papageno » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:32 pm

My main surprise, not surprise at all…. I had a great time during my first season in Maine. Beautiful place and learned about hunting brand new habitats. In fact, in that regard, everything was a surprise.

I also enjoyed chatting with all of you and meeting and hunting with a some, too…. thanks for making me feel welcome!!
papageno
hunter

Postby JCraig12 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:06 pm

JCraig 12- Old Squaw huh? Who'd have thought Unity would be another sea duck hotspot?

Pretty weird stuff. Definitely the furthest I've seen a sea duck off the coast.
2014 season
Duck- 42
Geese- 13
JCraig12
hunter

Postby maineducker » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:45 am

2 pintails for me. Seems like they're increasing yearly. :thumbsup:
maineducker
hunter

Postby RedDog » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:17 am

R-Factor wrote:Great thread! :thumbsup:

Red Dog- Did you take your Shoveler at the very beginning of the season? I've seen Shovelers on a number of occasions here in Maine, but always prior to the opener. As for the Scoter...I can easily believe that one. There's a watershed that I've seen both Eider and Scoter in that's approximately 130 miles as the crow flies to the nearest salt water...funny stuff. The Eider was one or two years ago and the Scoter was this past season. And wow...that does seem insanely late for a Woodrow to be around. We had a hen super late up here this year, but my buddy who had been seeing it around the same spot figured it was injured...makes sense.

Yes, the Spoony was early in the season. The late season Woody was healthy and on the wing. He buzzed the decoys all by himself. We figured it was a hooded merganser when we dropped it. Although, we did joke about it being a Woody before I went to pick it up.
RedDog
hunter

Postby 682x » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:37 pm

RedDog ,sure sounds like you and your buddies got it together!! Crazy wood ducks !!
Arnold Trail Trap , Skeet, and 5-Stand.
682x
hunter

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:39 am

I surprised I didn't get up there hunting more this year. See ya next year. :hi:
Preserve game, use a well trained retriever.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Postby eiderman1 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:11 pm

We had a hen shoveler shot right before christmas
eiderman1
hunter

Postby K.I. Joe » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:52 am

I got my first Pintail this year. Last year we got Scoter and I saw a huge flock of Eider in the Penobby in Old Town, they spanned the whole river.
K.I. Joe
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:51 pm

Only two Blacks!!!!! Mallards were much more abundant - even when in the coastal marshes. First time even been iced out of the marshes so early in the season lasting through the end.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Maine Duck Hunting