First of species for us!

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

First of species for us!

Postby Seaductor » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:11 am

Sprig and I are down in R.I. for the last few days of their season! My son's brother in law showed us a good time by getting us into a great brant spot!! First brant either of us had ever taken.

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Re: First of species for us!

Postby puddleduck » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:42 am

Nice Guys!!!!!
puddleduck
hunter

Postby 682x » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:40 am

Cool Shep ! Nice to score something different now and then.
Arnold Trail Trap , Skeet, and 5-Stand.
682x
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:51 am

Congrats to Seaductor and Sprig! :grooving: I've read that Brant decoy fairly willingly...did you find that to be the case?
R-Factor
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:05 pm

Congrats!
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby papageno » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:56 pm

R-Factor wrote:Congrats to Seaductor and Sprig! :grooving: I've read that Brant decoy fairly willingly...did you find that to be the case?

I targeted brant my first few seasons in Jersey. Four Carrylite goose decoys would bring in every flock, regardless of size, that flew by. They also fly all day long and aren't wary, even on the last day of the season. They would be extinct if they tasted good.

Unfortunately, their numbers are way down in the Jersey mid winter survey, and it is quite likely there will not be a season on them next year (unless the Connecticut and Long Island surveys are very high). The survey also indicates that there only a few juveniles for every 100 adults - indicating very poor production last year.

Congrats on a new species - they definitely are a blast to hunt.
papageno
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:49 am

R-Factor wrote:Congrats to Seaductor and Sprig! :grooving: I've read that Brant decoy fairly willingly...did you find that to be the case?

They did decoy well! We had trouble finishing them the first day but shifted blinds about 20 yards and moved the decoys to match and it was game on!! My son and I took a walk to scout another spot and as we were coming back we watched a flock of 40 or more decoy perfectly to Sprig and Alex! I wish I'd been on the Gopro for that one!

Sent from my XT556 using Tapatalk 2
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby MaineHunter » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:56 am

Awesome!
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby cjg » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:33 am

We had a flock of Brant fly right over the front of the boat in October during the split (so we couldn't shoot) and saw some others in December out of range down at the mouth of the Saco. Really neat just getting to see them.
cjg
hunter

Postby JCraig12 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:49 am

Awesome I'd love to get a Brant some day! Went down the the Eastern Shore of MD this weekend and shot my first wigeon and gadwall and a few Canadas. Gotta love the little season extenders! :thumbsup:
JCraig12
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:51 pm

Great job guys! That would be fun.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby papageno » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:55 pm

JCraig12 wrote:Awesome I'd love to get a Brant some day! Went down the the Eastern Shore of MD this weekend and shot my first wigeon and gadwall and a few Canadas. Gotta love the little season extenders! :thumbsup:

Just curious where you were hunting… my old stomping grounds. Gaddies were generally my number one early-mid season target - widgeon generally around Deal Island. They were often mostly gone by this time of year and replaced on the marsh by mallards and blacks.
papageno
hunter

Postby JCraig12 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:47 pm

Just curious where you were hunting… my old stomping grounds. Gaddies were generally my number one early-mid season target - widgeon generally around Deal Island. They were often mostly gone by this time of year and replaced on the marsh by mallards and blacks.

Right around Cambridge. Not many ducks around from what I could see. Saw probably around a thousand Cans flying way high and a few mallards here and there. Unreal amounts of geese around there right now. Absolute stud of a drake Wigeon though!
Attachments
1545598_732192726791591_303213746_n.jpg
JCraig12
hunter

Postby papageno » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:44 pm

Right-on!!

Dorchester, Talbot, Queen Annes, and Kent Counties have between 500k and 1m wintering AP geese, plus a bunch of resident populations and roving tribes of snows coming all the way over from Del Bay. The concentration shifts around in that range during the season. Suffice it to say, you will thousands of geese flying around and in the fields every day. Cambridge, being near Blackwater NWR is an important area for them.

BTW: You got the names right… in MD, a 'can' is a canvasback - a Canadian goose is just a 'goose' while a snow goose is a 'snow'. Also. a 'blackhead' is a scaup and a 'whiffler' (like the ball) is a goldeneye (I know yawl say 'whistler' in ME). A 'whistler' is a swan and a widgeon's a 'baldplate'.

For some fun spring reading get a copy of Roy Walsh's, 'Gunning the Chesapeake' from Amazon…. it's a classic.

Congrats on your baldie - he's a beaut.
Last edited by papageno on Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
papageno
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:51 pm

JCraig12 wrote:

Right around Cambridge. Not many ducks around from what I could see. Saw probably around a thousand Cans flying way high and a few mallards here and there. Unreal amounts of geese around there right now. Absolute stud of a drake Wigeon though!

Right on!!! Beautiful drake there... :thumbsup:
R-Factor
hunter

Postby JCraig12 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:17 pm

papageno wrote:Right-on!!

Dorchester, Talbot, Queen Annes, and Kent Counties have between 500k and 1m wintering AP geese, plus a bunch of resident populations and roving tribes of snows coming all the way over from Del Bay. The concentration shifts around in that range during the season. Suffice it to say, you will thousands of geese flying around and in the fields every day. Cambridge, being near Blackwater NWR is an important area for them.

BTW: You got the names right… in MD, a 'can' is a canvasback - a Canadian goose is just a 'goose' while a snow goose is a 'snow'. Also. a 'blackhead' is a scaup and a 'whiffler' (like the ball) is a goldeneye (I know yawl say 'whistler' in ME). A 'whistler' is a swan and a widgeon's a 'baldplate'.

For some fun spring reading get a copy of Roy Walsh's, 'Gunning the Chesapeake' from Amazon…. it's a classic.

Congrats on your baldie - he's a beaut.

Seems like a great area! Just might have to pick up a copy. Thanks!

Right on!!! Beautiful drake there...

Thanks man! Thinking about putting him on the wall.
JCraig12
hunter

Postby papageno » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:10 pm

It's an interesting area wit lots of problems for a non-millionair hunter. There are virtually no public goose fields - everything is by lease or guide. There are years when puddle ducks are very very scarce… your favorite marsh one year can be devoid for the next three. Hunting pressure is intense on public lands (some of which have very good parts). The shoreline is leased by the state to the riparian owner. You can spend a fortune renting a blind that will be good for two days (or none at all).

East Coast waterfowl hunting requires mobility and versatility. When I started hunting Jersey, I thought I was in heaven. Although Maine doesn't have the bird numbers, it is a lot of fun to hunt. Hunt free or die!!! (I know - wrong state)

Did you hunt in Fishing Bay WMA or take a guide? Taylor's Island WMA for puddlers would be my best bet for this time of year and weather conditions. The Nanticoke River shoreline of Fishing Bay WMA would also be a reasonable bet for cans. The best public goose fields are Bombay Hook NWR in Delaware.
papageno
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:04 pm

good stuff...congrats :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby JCraig12 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:22 am

It's an interesting area wit lots of problems for a non-millionair hunter. There are virtually no public goose fields - everything is by lease or guide. There are years when puddle ducks are very very scarce… your favorite marsh one year can be devoid for the next three. Hunting pressure is intense on public lands (some of which have very good parts). The shoreline is leased by the state to the riparian owner. You can spend a fortune renting a blind that will be good for two days (or none at all).

East Coast waterfowl hunting requires mobility and versatility. When I started hunting Jersey, I thought I was in heaven. Although Maine doesn't have the bird numbers, it is a lot of fun to hunt. Hunt free or die!!! (I know - wrong state)

Did you hunt in Fishing Bay WMA or take a guide? Taylor's Island WMA for puddlers would be my best bet for this time of year and weather conditions. The Nanticoke River shoreline of Fishing Bay WMA would also be a reasonable bet for cans. The best public goose fields are Bombay Hook NWR in Delaware.

Went with a guide. Never done something like that before with waterfowl, not sure if I like it all that much but it was definitely fun! I can see what you mean about the issues for the non-millionaire hunters, from what I hear a crappy lease is about $5,000 and average is 10 grand?

Maine is definitely a good state to hunt if you're talking about land availability, but that's just about it other than sea ducks and a decent resident goose season if you know what you're doing.

Sounds like going down there and doing a DIY hunt would be a blast, seems like someone could learn a lot quickly with all the birds down there.
JCraig12
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting