maine guide/moose permits

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

maine guide/moose permits

Postby Cpetit33 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:42 pm

someone told me as a maine guide you can buy moose permits for specific zone does anyone know if this is true
Cpetit33
hunter

Re: maine guide/moose permits

Postby RedDog » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:12 am

There is a controlled moose hunt in early September for specific areas of Aroostook County, primarily to control crop damage. Permits are issued by lottery, but it's only open to guides, landowners, and disabled veterans.

10 permits are also auctioned off each year for the regular/recreational moose season. Anyone can submit a written bid. Be prepared, though. Last year all the winning bids were for more than $10,000.

There was a bill introduced to the Legislature a couple years ago to issue 300 moose hunting permits each year to licensed Maine guides. The guides would then sell those permits. I don't think it ever passed.
RedDog
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:30 am

RedDog wrote:There was a bill introduced to the Legislature a couple years ago to issue 300 moose hunting permits each year to licensed Maine guides. The guides would then sell those permits. I don't think it ever passed.

Thank God that didn't pass. I'm a Registered Maine Guide (fishing) and don't think that's fair at all. Moose permits should never turn into a "whoever has the most money gets to hunt" type of deal. I know that some of the auction funds go to good resources, but I still don't like it. I didn't like it when the department offered Maine residents the opportunity to buy more chances either- I'm glad they did away with that last year. My family has been incredibly blessed with a number of permits, but I know there are a lot of people out there still patiently waiting for years and years to be drawn. One thing I am glad for is the system created to give credit for each year applied without getting drawn- this is how it should be....a much better chance of getting pulled the longer you've been applying.
R-Factor
hunter

Postby native brookie » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:49 pm

Check out today's BDN. Looks like some permits will be going to "lodges" in the future.

http://georgesoutdoornews.bangordailyne ... this-year/
native brookie
hunter

Postby flylineguide » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:12 pm

Yup it passed but not to all guides. It is for lodges. I went to some of the meetings. Very interesting political manuvering went on to get this. First tax laws got changed a few years ago. One specific change was what defines a lodge and payroll taxes on the kitchen staff. This was all done by the Maine lodge owners asso and MPGA. Which is of course the same people who sit on MPGA/MTA ect. They basically rewrote the tax code to favor just a very few lodges, theirs, and then MPGA hid behind Maine Lodge Owners Asso. claiming no involvement. Which was true MPGA didn't testify as for or against this new rule. But it is the same people behind the scenes. Also part of the sellout was the rule change allowing aliens to hunt big game without a guide now. Which Canada promised to reciprocate but they haven't and of course wont! FYI the alien law had a unwanted impact on some of the said board members families as they live on the border. This all began by design under Danny Martin and Baldacci. Unfortunatly LePage took the bait as it was guised as helping small businesses. Yes about 20 of them.

I am a memeber of MPGA and actually drew permit #1 of the controlled moose hunt in 09. But that is not the recreational hunt and is apples to turnips different then the recreational hunt. I am completely disgusted by the new lodge permit rule because it effects the recreational hunt. That's over 300 permits going to the elitist lodge owners that the public has zero chance of getting. These are going to be sold for 6-10K you watch. The Alaska moose hunt is in very bad shape with 70% reduction statewide in moose numbers. Canada is still you have to hire a guide so Maine's elite lodge owners are going to cash in on moose we all pay to manage. Very very wrong! Also George wrap this pig for a party in that article kind of downplaying the exclusivity of it. I for one would not 'partner with a inn. They would just want to pay a minimal daily guide fee. Lots of amateur guides (meaning full time other employed or retired from other job) out there who would jump on that thou. But that doesn't mean it is right or even profitable.
Puddlers,Divers,Seaducks. Thank goodness I live in Maine. Stripers,bluefish,tuna. Inland trout,salmon,and rivertripping.
flylineguide
hunter

Postby flylineguide » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:26 pm

Kind of makes you think twice about the wildlife council doesn't it? If this new law makes you mad, like it does me, I suggest you write a little note to MPGA 55 Morrison Hill Rd Wilton ME just tell them because of this new law you wont be donating money to defend the bear hunting tradition here in Maine this year. They will poop their pants trust me. I wrote a very similar letter but had a second issue included as well. I received numerous phone calls because they were counting on a donation similar to the $1000 I sent in during 04 battle. I don't want the bear hunting laws changed but I want a chance at those 300 moose permits more!
Puddlers,Divers,Seaducks. Thank goodness I live in Maine. Stripers,bluefish,tuna. Inland trout,salmon,and rivertripping.
flylineguide
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:53 pm

Wow...interesting. :huh:
R-Factor
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:25 pm

Flyline,

I agree that I hate to see permits removed from the general pool for this.

If we are in fact stuck with this, I'm curious why, as a professional guide, you would not try to make the most of this and cut a deal with an inn to split the total revenue from a permit? Which party would actually be receiving the permit, or is it created in both their names some how? Who does the state actually issue the permit to, and how would that create leverage? Just curious.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby flylineguide » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:54 pm

I hear you sounds good to the ear, BUT what hook up with Hampton Inn? They aren't going to bite on this unless you have a manager who is a cousin to a guide. I couldn't even get Hampton Inn in Freeport to donate a room for 3 nights to a donated hunt I did. Tax forms corporate red tape. Bottom line is I jump thru all the hoops to get a properly licensed facility to partner with me do all the leg work and all they are going to care about is how much they going to make. Say I sell a tag for 10k. A hotel like that will want an accounting and want to see gross receipts. Guide insurance is hugely expensive, 1/52nd of that, fuel, meals, lodging, truck wear and tear, preseason scouting ect.... You are down to 3k profit quickly at best. Best case scenario divide that in half between the 2 businesses. $1500 for ten 18 hour days, not me. This is off the cuff to just a quick thought, but I have done a bunch of moose hunts and I bet I am close.

Say I can find a mom and pop place that is close to where I get a permit. Mom and Pop choose to do the lodging, food at their cost. The hunt is still on me and my truck and equipment at my cost. If I can tag out in 2 days then maybe I make good money but it is unlikely, and you cant run a business on maybes. I have learned the hard way to be worse case planning with estimating.

Its my understanding those details about who gets licenses ect are not spelled out YET. Lots of details left out and legislature is supposed to address them soon. I know that there has to be a lodge/meals license and a guides license. I know sportsmen can end this after just one season if they holler loud enough.
flylineguide
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting