My Final day of the 2013 - 2014 season

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

My Final day of the 2013 - 2014 season

Postby Seaductor » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:37 pm

Second and last day of our Rhode Island adventure was absolutely gorgeous!! 5 to 10 mph breeze out of the west, Sun Sun Sun and temps in the mid 40s!! couldn't ask more for January 17th!!

All 4 of us shot limits of brant. We went out a lot earlier and the first 5 hours was pretty much a waste of time as far as the brant were concerned! They didn't fly until mid afternoon and when they did, it was flock after flock!! We were right on the money with our setup having made some adjustments from lessons learned the day before. The birds finished much better and the even the pass shooting was at 20 to 30 yards instead of 30 to 40. A little change can make a big difference. Several flocks bought it fully and bellied up to the blocks in big shape. It proved a bad day for them!

We saw a good number of ducks but had our duck spread where their approach put them too high to manage correctly. Next time we've got to adjust that rig to get better results.

Another highlight was the great drake pintail that gave us 2 passes and was greeted with lots of steel but to no avail!! We couldn't believe he came back for a second treatment!! He left safe and sound!

When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Re: My Final day of the 2013 - 2014 season

Postby R-Factor » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:38 pm

Very nice- always good to find success when you travel that far to hunt. Has anyone in your party tried eating one yet? Similar to honkers in flavor/texture?
R-Factor
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting