Aluminum Boat Repair

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Aluminum Boat Repair

Postby Fowler » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:54 am

Does anyone know a shop or person who is able to do a complete transom rebuild on an aluminum boat? The boat is a 22ft Starcraft Mariner that was damaged while being transported. There is enough damage so that it can't just be patched. Separated from splash well, wood transom split and uprights that bolt to transom also split. Pretty lucky the whole thing didn't come off into the roadway.
Fowler
hunter

Re: Aluminum Boat Repair

Postby Mugzwump » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:15 am

Fowler wrote:Does anyone know a shop or person who is able to do a complete transom rebuild on an aluminum boat? The boat is a 22ft Starcraft Mariner that was damaged while being transported. There is enough damage so that it can't just be patched. Separated from splash well, wood transom split and uprights that bolt to transom also split. Pretty lucky the whole thing didn't come off into the roadway.

Sounds terrible...

I would build a new wood transom myself, then remove as much of the damaged, unusable metal and see if the local marina could recommend someone to assemble it properly. Maybe do that last part first... Otherwise anyone could do it with the right gear, just wouldn't trust a boat that joe schmoe put together.

good luck!

post some pics of the damage! :smile:

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:49 am

call Bath Industrial in Bath Maine-they may be able to do the work, at least recommend some else--they have everything there. Plenty of Ship Building around here. get it done right--weight the cost and trouble / safety, etc.Good luck -there is a used Boat yard in Augusta --
decoycarver
hunter

Postby Swanny » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:18 pm

I rebuilt the wood in my transom last year. Glued 2 pieces of 3/4" ply together, then stained and sealed. Seems there are plenty of fabrication places around, so you could probably get your aluminum repaired pretty easily. I just picked up some sheet aluminum from american aluminum and steel in south portland to build a floor. You could get some stuff there for pretty cheap, fab your pieces up and have a guy come to your house and weld it all together. A lot of those welders will do house calls as their trucks are all rigged up for mobile jobs. Good luck!
Swanny
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting