A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Postby RedDog » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:05 pm

I was surfing around, lamenting another 6+ months without duck hunting, when I found this site. Glad to see it. Seems like a great idea/resource.

Here's my intro: I live in the Augusta area, and have duck hunted the lakes of Central Maine for 25 years. I have always hunted all game, but a few years ago the passion for ducks just overtook everything else. So I decided to just concentrate on ducks and birds. The fall is too short, and I work weekday mornings. (Man! It would have been nice to have Sunday hunting!)

Now I have 2 boats and a canoe in the yard, and 1 boat and canoe still down on the bog (Oh well, pull it up and put a tarp on it. It'll be fine.). Yet I still feel I need more boats...

A few years ago, I hooked up with a guy who lives on Merrymeeting in Dresden. I hunt there a few times a year, but it's hard to forsake the 20+ year old "old faithful" blind down back, so I mainly wait 'til lake freeze-up (or if the lake is really rough). I have also hunted the Kennebec b/tw Skowhegan and Hinkley. I have hunted the river out of Wiscasset. We have gone for Old Squaw in Boothbay. And I just took my first Eider/Scoter hunt this year. That was a blast! I hunted Bluebills in NC for the first time this year. Also a blast!

My dog is a 2 year old Vizsla. He's a machine. We also hunt alot of woodcock/grouse. We are still hunting rabbits, to satisfy his desire. I wouldn't use him in the ocean, but he got a couple black ducks the day before the lake froze, without hesitation.

I am a firm believer in Hevi-Shot and Kent Tungsten-Matrix for old guns, although I do still shoot #3 steel over the decoys, if they are coming in well. This year I have fallen in love with the Patternmaster choke.

My main weapon of choice is my Beretta AL391 in Shadowgrass, but I will also pull out the Browning Auto-5 Magnum, Ithaca Mag 10, Winchester Model 50, Ruger Red Label, or even the Remington Model 11 Sportsman 20 ga, or Old Parker 16 ga.

I would like to start carving. I picked up a bunch of broken styrofoam billets on the last day of the Hammond Lumber tent sale this fall dirt cheap. I figure it's a good place to start. I am also interested in sculling and scull boats. Maybe building one. It never ends...
RedDog
hunter

Postby Dogman » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:29 am

Redog, :welcome: you found the right place. :thumbsup:
Nice selection of shotguns you have.

You mentioned decoy making,well check out the decoy forum and send DUKHTR a line,he can set you up with all the info you need for decoys.

Again, :welcome: enjoy the site! :thumbsup:
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:48 am

:welcome: Glad you found us.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:55 am

:welcome: RedDog!!!!!

I'm from Buxton.......Dogman is in Alfred....we have a pretty good state forum....was alot more active during the season, with high quality postings regarding bird activity and general scouting reports......a good group of posters in our area! Be sure to check out the decoy forum if you are into starting a project.....I am planning to have a get-together as soon as it gets warm and less snow than now....to go over foamer bulapping...keep your eyes scanning for an update! Feel free to PM me or e-mail any specific questions and I'll do my best to answer/mentor/coach.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby RedDog » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:56 pm

Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah, I guess I'm not what you would call brand loyal when it comes to guns. And the collection is always growing - just like the boats, decoys, calls, and gloves (I think I have a "thing" for gloves).

I was immediately struck by the quality of the Maine posts, when I found you guys. That's why I joined in. Looking forward to sharing info next season.

DUKHTR, I would certainly appreciate joining any decoying get-together. I'll keep an eye out.

Thanks for all the info.
RedDog
hunter

Hey RD

Postby duckmann » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:53 am

RD,

Glad that you were able to find us! This is a great forum and especially helpful and informative during the season.

I live in Augusta as well and hunt frequently on the Kennebec, Merry Meeting Bay, Togus, etc. Is a great area for getting a few ducks now and then!

My summer has been taken up with training my new little buddy and with the help of the guys on the Maine forum and the other discussion groups I have been working to shape her into a great duck dog. . . boy doesn't it take a TON of patience!

Glad to see you also have a passion for firearms! While my collection pales in comparison to your impressive selection it is constantly expanding and continues to get bigger each year!

Duck Mann
duckmann
hunter

Postby RedDog » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:21 pm

Thanks for the welcome Duckmann. I especially look forward to sharing info with you, and others that hunt in our immediate area this season.

This can really be quite an amazing resource. My crew and I really don't encounter many other duck hunters during the season. Most in my area hunt grouse/woodcock or archery hunt deer in October, and rifle hunt for deer in November/December. And we hardly ever use a public landing.

Good luck with the pup! I'm sure you're having a lot of fun. As long as she is too, whatever these guys have you doing will work out fine.
RedDog
hunter

Welcome Red Dog

Postby flyman420 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:09 pm

I also live in augusta and hunt some of the same waters you do. I am sure I will see you on the water someday and if i do i will surely say Hi. Welcome to the site I have found it to be very useful for info during the season and great at keeping the passion up during the off season. welcome
flyman420
hunter

Postby RedDog » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:04 am

Sounds good. But how will you recognize... oh yeah, the red dog.
RedDog
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting