New Gun

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

New Gun

Postby yellowbill » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:25 am

Im looking into buying a Franchi Affinity Semi-Auto Shotgun and was wondering if anyone owned one and if they liked it or not?
yellowbill
hunter

Re: New Gun

Postby R-Factor » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:40 pm

You gotta love 147 views and no replies huh? :rolleyes: :wink:
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that Stoger, Franchi, and Benelli are all owned by the same parent company. Nobody in my circles owns a Franchi (any of their models), so can't share anything on that end. My buddy picked up a Stoeger M3000 last year and really likes it...good gun for the money. It is, in fact, recoil operated- but different than my Benelli. I'm not crazy about the way it disassembles (read "more complicated") than my Benelli...but he has the hang of it down now I believe. It does have a good feel to it...seems well balanced. There certainly are a lot of good options out there for autoloaders...really comes down to what feels good in your hands...cleans easily...has a good record for reliability...etc. I wouldn't be afraid to pick up a Franchi if you like em'- the company certainly has a good lineage. Happy shopping! :smile:
R-Factor
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:38 am

I wouldn't be afraid of the Franchi. I had one that I shot reliably for many years.

These days, I'm shooting a Beretta A300 Outlander that is in that economy autoloader segment. Very nice gun.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby MaineHunter » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:45 pm

From what I have seen I believe the Franchi Affinity is a great gun!
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby eiderman1 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:49 am

I tested those guns sea duck hunting with the rep from Franchi . They worked great smooth shooting with low recoil. We also had Vinchis, sbe2s and Stoger to shoot at the same time to see which worked better. Berretta owns all of those companys.
They all have the same bolts and some of the internal parts. The main thing is get the one that fits better and fits your budget.
eiderman1
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:15 pm

Just to clarify for the potential consumer...while the Stoeger and the Benelli both operate under a recoil system (vs gas), they do NOT have the same bolt. As I mentioned above, I own the SBE II and my buddy just bought the new Stoeger. I can strip my Benelli in literally under a minute or two. The Stoeger is not bad, but definitely utilizes different components and isn't quite as simple. Honestly though, you don't have to take them apart to see the difference...work the bolt in the gun shop on each and you can see and feel the difference...definitely a different system there. While I have yet to take an Affinity apart, I have reviewed pictures of the bolt diagram and it appears to be a lot closer in design to my SBE II than the Stoeger.
R-Factor
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:17 pm

eiderman1 wrote:I tested those guns sea duck hunting with the rep from Franchi . They worked great smooth shooting with low recoil. We also had Vinchis, sbe2s and Stoger to shoot at the same time to see which worked better. Berretta owns all of those companys.
They all have the same bolts and some of the internal parts. The main thing is get the one that fits better and fits your budget.

Sounds fun! :grooving: Did you run the Franchi for the entire season or was this just a weekend stint?
R-Factor
hunter

Postby yellowbill » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:55 pm

I was looking into them because they where in my price range and they are made by berratta so i figured they couldnt be all that bad.
eiderman1 wrote:I tested those guns sea duck hunting with the rep from Franchi . They worked great smooth shooting with low recoil. We also had Vinchis, sbe2s and Stoger to shoot at the same time to see which worked better. Berretta owns all of those companys.

How did the Franchi stand out against all the other guns you tried?
yellowbill
hunter

Postby KRB » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:00 am

My brother has abused his affinity for 2 seasons and has had no malfunctions. I shot it and like it. Low maintenance, easy brake down. Will get the 20ga for grouse and woodcock.
KRB
hunter

Postby 682x » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:51 pm

Try as many different guns as you can before purchasing if you can. You might find something you like and can locate one used and save $$$.
Arnold Trail Trap , Skeet, and 5-Stand.
682x
hunter

Postby mtstringer » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:03 pm

I don't have an Affinity but hunt with a Franchi I12 and love it. I bought the Carlson waterfowl 3 choke system for $90 and fed the gun anything from cheap Winchester to high end Heavy metal and it patterns great with it all. Never a jam or failure of any sort and real pleasant to shoot. I used in on the Salt also and the tear down and cleaning is so simple it is amazing. So being said, I would imagine the Affinty would have the same characteristics as the I12.
mtstringer
hunter

Postby yellowbill » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:46 pm

Thanks for the info i will have to try those chokes out. I just bought the Franchi Intensity last weekend and i cant wait to try it out on some geese and ducks!
yellowbill
hunter

Postby Maine-ly_hunting » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:29 pm

I've hunted with the Franchi I-12 for a couple seasons now and it hasn't given me any grief. I'm planning on switching over to a synthetic stock this season and the Affinity is on my list.
-Chris
Maine-ly_hunting
hunter

Postby yellowbill » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:11 am

I was going to get the Affinity but it only shoots 3 inch so i went with the Intensity so i can shoot 3 1/2 inch shells.
yellowbill
hunter

Postby KRB » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:03 pm

Nice to have the option but the longer you hunt the less you will shoot 3.5"s
KRB
hunter

Postby Maine-ly_hunting » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:20 pm

KRB wrote:Nice to have the option but the longer you hunt the less you will shoot 3.5"s

Agreed.
-Chris
Maine-ly_hunting
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting