Q for 733subducker

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Q for 733subducker

Postby native brookie » Thu May 01, 2014 4:17 pm

Hey, I'm following a discussion on another forum about the process to set seasons in the different zones in NY.

They've already set dates for next fall's season so folks can plan for it. (I assume there is a small chance they'll need to change them after the feds finalize the framework, but that probably won't change the openers.)

Why do we do things so much later in Maine?

Here's a link to that discussion: http://duckboats.net/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=243255;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

And one to explain NY's process of setting seasons: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/42364.html

I don't really have a problem with how we do things in Maine, but it would be good to know the season dates earlier so we could plan time off.
native brookie
hunter

Re: Q for 733subducker

Postby 733SubDucker » Fri May 02, 2014 9:39 am

Thank for the question. What I do know is that Kelsey and Brad schedule our meetings after the fed sets parameters. We typically meet in early August prior to the public hearing and then finalize the season following the meeting. If there are special considerations (which there are not this year), we will meet in the spring.

As for the season opener, here is the Council's way we set the North Zone opener...

The feds allow us to start our duck season on the Saturday closest to Sept. 24th. The Council had decided to avoid a Saturday start for the NZ and start it on the Monday following the Saturday closest to Sept. 24th. In most years that coincides with the last Monday of Sept.

The date rotates around the calendar and is consistent and fair.

The South Zone opener is typically the first Monday in October.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any inputs.

Courtney
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Fri May 02, 2014 11:55 am

733SubDucker wrote:
The feds allow us to start our duck season on the Saturday closest to Sept. 24th. The Council had decided to avoid a Saturday start for the NZ and start it on the Monday following the Saturday closest to Sept. 24th. In most years that coincides with the last Monday of Sept.

Courtney

Hey Courtney- Hope the summer is going well. After reading the quote above, I just glanced at the calendar and noticed the last Saturday in Sept falls on the 27th this year...would this mean the north zone will most likely open on the 29th (vs the 22nd) ?
R-Factor
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Sun May 04, 2014 2:22 pm

The NZ opener basically rotates around that week. Last year happened to be the earliest and this year the latest in the cycle. The date will continue to move a day earlier for the next 6 season's before shifting by a week and repeating the process. Hope that makes sense.

At least there is a method to the madness! :lol3:
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Sun May 04, 2014 4:05 pm

Gotcha. That likely will translate into fewer BW Teal in the bag opening week in the North Zone, but I'm ok with that. Thanks!
R-Factor
hunter

Postby Smokum870 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:06 pm

I had heard rumpus of an early teal opportunity. Any truth to that?
Duck Count:
Geese-2
Blacks-6
Mallards-5
Teal-12
Woodies-2
Scaup-3
Ringnecks-6
Smokum870
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:21 am

Smokum870 wrote:I had heard rumpus of an early teal opportunity. Any truth to that?

I went round and round with the bios on this last season. I'll be blunt...

- The commissioner, bios, and council always solicit input from an enforcement standpoint. Our wardens don't think Maine hunters can identify a teal from any other young of the year eclipse plumed puddler... and Maine hunters apparently proved that to be the case during an experimental teal season decades ago. They believe there would be a large incidental kill.

- Proponents of later regular duck seasons see a special 'early teal' season as a way to appease the warm weather hunters and justify their demands... warm weather hunters and the bios (who support warm weather hunters) don't like that idea at all. "Special Teal Seasons" are generally 6 - 12 days and do not count toward regular duck. However, some southern states include Wood Ducks in their early season, in which case those days do count.

In regards to enforcement; if you are not confident in the ID... don't take the shot or risk a ticket. I will readily admit that I have taken the rare shot at a duck that I was not sure if it was a hen mallard or black duck... but it was in a situation where the take of either species would not put me in violation. Because we are a breeding area for many species, it could certainly make the job of teal ID more difficult in some situations.

Personally, I always here the few guys that want more days in September pointing to Teal hunting as their "lost opportunity". A special season would give them that opportunity and mean increased opportunity later in the regular season. Seems like a win, win, right? Yet, I also believe that most of Maine gets 2 good weeks of 'local duck' hunting... regardless of whether that occurs in late September or early October... and, that the large migratory flights start coming to central Maine in late October around Halloween every year. You get those same two weeks of gunning from whenever you start banging at them and then the dog days of October until Halloween (unless you live in the County). True, you may lose some Bluewing Teal the beginning of October.But, if you start banging at teal will it not disperse your other local ducks such as Mallards, Blacks, and Wood Ducks. So its a trade off... miss a few Blue Wing or blow out the rest of the local bird species. Something to consider for sure.
733SubDucker
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting