Eiders and chicks

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Eiders and chicks

Postby RedDog » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:46 am

I was a substitute sternman on a friend's lobster boat this weekend. Tons of Eiders in Penobscot Bay. Saw several rafts of 50-100 hens w/ close to an equal number of chicks from the latest hatching. It was great to see. Of course - no camera!

I didn't realize there were that many residents Eiders that nest as well as winter here.
RedDog
hunter

Postby Dogman » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:39 am

Maine has the benefit of both breeding and wintering Eiders.Some of our birds head south but not all.Then there are the birds that come here from the Canadian Provinces to add to the resident winter birds.

Nice to hear that report,too bad about the camera.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Lundman » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:51 am

:yes: Glad to hear the report. The eider is one of the few birds that Maine is not dependant on migratory flights. Living here in downeast ,Maine the numbers look good as well. We do get some migratory birds from Canada but we are not dependant on them. Next time you go eider gunning in the late season, take notice of the bill length and shape. The canadain birds will differ from our native birds slightly. Great to hear the report :thumbsup: The seaason is getting closer :smile:
Lundman
hunter

Eiders

Postby duckmann » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:40 pm

The eider is a BEAUTIFUL bird, I was talking to a couple of good old boys from S. Carolina in April (I was lucky enough to go boar hunting with a friend) and they all wanted to come to Maine and shoot one for their trophy rooms.

I noticed that Sea Duck season will start on Oct. 1st this year with everything else starting on the 3rd. . . might have to take a look at Penobscot bay as an option for the 1st. Anyone out there know of any good access points to the bay or places to go (closer to shore) where they might be clustering?

I made several eider silhouettes that I used last year (pattern available to anyone interested) . . . BUT we always ended up seeing old squaw and golden eyes. . . so I bought 6 golden eye decoys to sit with the eiders for this season. . . hope this provides better luck!

Duck Mann
duckmann
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting