Duck Hunting Forum banner

Resident Geese

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  duckmann 
#1 ·
Motored around several of the lakes in/around Union this past weekend seeing if I couldn't track down the location of some of Maine's "resident" Canadians. I ended up with no sightings but plan to try again around mid August.

Have been thinking about possibly planning a trip up to Rangely lakes region or Moosehead in September as I hear they get a pretty sizeable population during the early season.

Anyone else seeing any Geese?

#4 ·
BigD,

Well since you mentioned it, I have also been looking for consistent turkey sightings (Mostly Central). I am looking to hunt (for the first time) with a bow this Fall for turkey. . . believe me I need all the help I can get! :) Where I have shot turkeys in the Spring with the 10g this "archery" stuff in the Fall is a completely different bird!

If anyone has any sightings info OR words of advice a PM would be much appreciated!

Duckmann

#5 ·
I drove across Rt. 3 to Belfast on Friday and noted two groups of around 20 geese each at two small roadside ponds (40-50 total) just up the road from Ruffingham Meadow. My guess that they may be using the meadow for roosting at night and feeding in the fields beside the road during the day. . . hmmmm . . . may have to plan an ambush some evening.

#6 ·
#7 ·
MONGO,

I couldn't get your pictures to load correctly BUT will take your word for it! :) How many geese were in the photos?

I am still not seeing that many geese around my area in central Maine. I have heard/seen a few flocks of 20-25 fly over the house around 6-6:30 in the monring but that is about it.

With less than a week now before the opening of the season I am starting to get thinking that I may get skunked for the opener like last year. Oh, well guess that is hunting.

DuckMann

#8 ·
I think I figured out part of the problem (I copied the thumbnail pic- corrected but the pic still is not displayed like I want) but if you go to the PHOTO ALBUM button at the top of the screen and then click into GRINDAGE, my three pics open full size there. Please see for yourself.
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/album_pi ... ic_id=1044
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/album_pi ... ic_id=1043
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/album_pi ... ic_id=1042

Last night, what a sight, approximately 100 Green Wing Teal and another spot 75+ Mallards in Rangeley Lake. I tried like hell to put the highbeams and takedown lights on 'em and get a digital pic but the shoreline had a little light and that washed out the ducks in the water. Then the rains came down hard between 0400 to 0700 hrs, I found about 20 Mallards but the Teal were nowhere to be found.
Mongo

#9 ·
HAHAHA, those pics cracked me up! Those geese have NO idea what is going to happen to them after Labor Day! Also glad to hear that the ducks are starting to appear up your way. Things in central Maine have been relatively slow and I have seen no groups larger than 5-6 ducks. Hopefully as the weather cools (80 here in Augusta right now) we will see more movement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.