Duck Hunting Forum banner

Waterfowl Regs hearing is early

658 views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Bunker 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Anyone with suggestions, questions, recommendations can send them to me along with your name and location. I will be happy to share with the rest of the Waterfowl Council for discussion prior to the meeting. Thanks. Courtney Hagenaars.

..my contacts can also be found under the waterfowl council on the MDIFW website at Maine. Gov.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#7 ·
There was little opposition to the regs as proposed. One attendee wished to move the new 60 day restricted sea duck season as late as possible to January 30th. Also, not that it affects many here, but the mid winter surveys showed more Brant than expected so the limit will be 2 rather than 1. Also, there is a concern that the Atlantic fly way may now be exceeding the kill threshold for wood ducks. If this continues, we may see the limit return to 2 birds. The Carolinas shoot 80%+ of the wood ducks harvested in the Atlantic fly way.

Let me know if you have any questions.

#8 ·
My suggestion is that if you want the sea duck season to be basically Dec and Jan then you should write a letter and send it in. I was amazed that with the people at the meeting, hardly anybody spoke...at all, neither in favor, opposed or general comments. I was basically the only one that voiced any opposition to the proposed dates. Bringing up that it would be nice to have Dec and Jan as the sea duck season. Just my two cents.

#9 ·
733subducker01 said:
There was little opposition to the regs as proposed. One attendee wished to move the new 60 day restricted sea duck season as late as possible to January 30th. Also, not that it affects many here, but the mid winter surveys showed more Brant than expected so the limit will be 2 rather than 1. Also, there is a concern that the Atlantic fly way may now be exceeding the kill threshold for wood ducks. If this continues, we may see the limit return to 2 birds. The Carolinas shoot 80%+ of the wood ducks harvested in the Atlantic fly way.

Let me know if you have any questions.

So this wood duck restriction that may or may not happen, would that be at the federal level? Meaning all the flyway would be 2 or just us in Maine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Fyi - The information and feedback considered by the Waterfowl council showed that the majority of guides and private hunters prefer the dates as written.

I just hope it helps sea duck numbers. Also there will be an upcoming study looking at eider chick mortality from black back gulls. We fear it may be in excess of 95%! The theory is that the gulls have increased targeting eiders in recent years due to a sharp decline in other food sources, such as invertebrates. We will see...

#13 ·
733subducker01 said:
Fyi - The information and feedback considered by the Waterfowl council showed that the majority of guides and private hunters prefer the dates as written.

I just hope it helps sea duck numbers. Also there will be an upcoming study looking at eider chick mortality from black back gulls. We fear it may be in excess of 95%! The theory is that the gulls have increased targeting eiders in recent years due to a sharp decline in other food sources, such as invertebrates. We will see...

Sounds like a good reason to have a gull season!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Mike the Fox said:
733subducker01 said:

Sounds like a good reason to have a gull season!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1 day $2 a tag. Im rolling in with a hundy and half a case of shells! :groovin: Same should go for cormorants they need to be thinned out too!

Sent from my pocket poptart type thingy using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.