Duck Hunting Forum banner

Sea Duck locations??

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DUKHTR 
#1 ·
I was watching one of my favorite episodes of "Water Dog" last night (yes, I have them on video tape) and noted that they stated that theywere blasting Eiders and Oldsquaw in Kennebunk on the Saco river. During the show, there were several shots of the ducks flying up the shore and I could see huge houses and beaches in the background. My question is that though the show stated that the hunting was done in Kennebunk on the Saco I looked on the Gaz and noticed that the mouth of the Saco is much further North well out of Kennebunk. Does anyone do any hunting around that area and know where most of the sea duck hunting occurs? Just gathering info for a possible Nov. hunt.

#2 ·
I think they used Kennebunk as a reference because most people have heard of it due to the Bush estate there.
Nov is a good time,later on is usually better also.
Any place you can get access or can launch a boat is a good candidate for seaducks.Scouting is the important part.You'll find the birds where they are.

If you have a boat the Saco has two launch areas,the one at Camp Ellis is OK but the one off the Pool road in Biddeford is much better.

Any place along the coast that has a launch is likely to have a seaduck hole nearby.Access by land to hunt the ledges is nice but hard to come by.

#3 ·
I hunt that exact spot - along the southern jetty.....yes, there are a couple launches on the Saco........the actual hunt 'town' they were in was Biddeford. As mentioned by Mike, the Biddeford launch is outstanding, but is upstream a bit.....the launch at Camp Ellis is "OK".....there is also a less known town launch that is very close to the spot, but not if using a 'large' boat and it is not paved

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.