Duck Hunting Forum banner

Sea Duck Decoys

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  RedDog 
#1 ·
I finally decided that instead of hunting this year with 6 buffle heads (3M and 3F) that I would paint the three female decoys so they were identical to the males. I picked up this hint on a last hunt last year with a buddy of mine from Jonesport who only makes male buffle head decoys. He believes (as I now do) that the males are much more visible and that visibility (on the ocean) far outweighs the importance of having a 50/50 mix of decoys. Does anyone else use all (or a high number of) male decoys in their sea duck spreads?

Also, I have Golden Eyes, Oldsquaw, Eider, Buffle Head and Black Duck decoys that I would like to use when I go to the ocean this year. Does anyone have any "Specific" direction on how I should plan to set-up my spread? For example, can I put Buffles, Blacks and Oldsquaws on the same long line? I know that Golden Eyes need to have their own separate space in the spread but what about the other species?

#2 ·
Duckman.

For the sea duck spread I use all drake eiders 4 to 10 dozen depending on where I hunt and what time of year...I use all Jumbo Quack decoys which I change the heads to drake eider made by E Allen this set up works great because the jombo Quacks ar 23 inches long and very visible... I also use 2 dozen E Allen Scoter decoys all Drakes though not as important because the birds hen and Drake are dark anyway...I do not even carry a hen decoy in my boat,,,

#3 ·
I never bother with Bufflehead decoys when seaducking.....but I do use them for Bay hunting or on large rivers.......I only use drakes

as for mixing species.....I do mix scoter and eiders.....in fact one set of sleds I have are painted as scoter on the inside and eider on the outside....but on the full bodies I keep just one specie per line.....I do not use GE decoys since they are not regular enough in our waters to target....although I do have a couple spots where I know they are the target and set up accordingly if I decide to try for them

late in the season when there are long-tails around, I keep a seperate group of them since they tend to only decoy well to their own kind

#7 ·
When we set up on the Sheepscot River, we put out a dozen buffs and a dozen whistlers (not too far apart, but distinct groups) and a half dozen magnum blacks right close to shore. Kinda making a triangle. The buffs and whistlers don't really set in the decoys that much, but will buzz them well enough for some good shots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.