Duck Hunting Forum banner

Choke Use?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  duckmann 
#1 ·
I have been hearing more and more waterfowl hunters saying that they are using full to super full chokes to hunt ducks. For years, I have used a modified choke with fairly good luck. . . however with all this talk, I am considering trying the full choke option this year. The other night Red Dog was singing the praises of the "Pattern Master" choke system. . . does anyone else use FULL chokes during the season with good luck?

Also, I prebought Hevishot at the end of last season and have been dying (for 7 months) to try it out. From what I have been hearing, I will never go back to steel. I am planning to use #4s for geese this Sept. season and Eiders later in the year does this sound like an effective shot size? What does everyone else use?

Lastly, since hevishot is 10% heavier than lead are there any special considerations that need to be made when shooting through full choke systems or is this not a factor?

#2 ·
I actually use a wad wizard which is the exact same as pattern master ...the pattern master was invented by bob walker who seperated from them several years age and now makes the same tube only non ported which I feel is much better because you don't get and loss of velocity due to porting ....I Have shot and own both a pattern master and wad wizard and can say I like the wad wizard better ,,,,
www.wadwizard.com. call lori at wad wizard she is awsome

#6 ·
I have had very little luck using #2s with Eiders. They are extremely tough birds and they are covered in thick down which is an amazingly good at resisting impact. I have skinned many birds and had shot roll out of the down or be caught between the flesh and skin.

All I use for Eiders is BB and BBB. . . have even considered T but think instead I will try Heavishot.

On the other hand if you are hunting old squaw or butterballs I would use
#2 and possible #4 if the rannge wasn't to awful extreme.

DM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.