Duck Hunting Forum banner

Question 3 - November Ballot

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  BB1 
#1 ·
I've been surprised at how many lifelong hunters/friends that I've spoken to that are not aware that this is even on the ballot. The commercials appear to be passing it off (again) as a safety measure (though the kid in the commercial, at age 12, hasn't learned how to shoulder a shotgun properly. I blame granddad.. whoever that poser is..)

As you're out there hunting with your buddies or together at camp getting ready for the season, make sure you bring it up.

I hunt ducks, and I approve this message.

#3 ·
Oh, my --You are observant !!-shame on you responsible Hunter's and Gun owner's who play by the rules and know what your doing !!--I''m not a hunter but I play one on TV at Election Time !!--That was the first rotten thing that stood out for me also--just reminds me of the phony ads on the Bear referendum's !!--made up bull-by the anti's-problem is guys we are preaching to the choir on this chat. If there was a way to get the true message out to the IDIOT'S who see these and actually vote for the crap--or a way to post our own commercials ??-I have access to a TV Station , what we need is Sportsman's Alliance to get this done !!--I'd be glad t do it !!

#4 ·
That 20 caliber gun, I mean weapon, I mean assault rifle that he's carrying is nice though...

I believe Sportsman's Alliance may already be involved. I admit, I'm not as involved with local orgs as I could/should be. I'd suggest donated money, but my allowance has been spent on a couple of boxes of #3's.

#5 ·
We are going to get screwed by this.
Read up on what the NRA has to say about it.
Going to make all of us criminals before it's over. This is the first step to taking every ones guns away.
Background check , that they have to pass, before you can let someone else even handle your gun, then another check, that you have to pass before you can get it back. Felony charge for any violation. Now your guns are gone and you're a felon on your 1st violation.

#9 ·
Mike the Fox said:
jperkins01 said:
In my opinion, the onus should be on the gun owner to know who they're giving their gun off too. If that person is a felon, then maybe a charge. Otherwise, I agree, they're criminalizing regular folks over nothing. Smh.
Unfortunately there's no way to tell if a buyer is a felon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sure there is, transfer the gun with the assistance of an FFL holder.

#10 ·
Thanks for sharing the Representative Martin's Press Herald article.

It is true that Question 3 will not benefit Mainers. Mainers have to decide if they want to help people in other states. The proposed law may be too much to ask.

What I have noticed in my short time looking at ballot initiatives, which are uncommon in other states I have lived, is that they tend to be very radical one-sided responses with a simple up or down vote on all their specifics. It would be better if state legislatures would work proactively to craft reasonable consensus solutions to these kinds of issues - that way babies might not actually get thrown out with the bath water.

I have been impressed with Maine's history of independent political positioning and hope that such legislative work would be possible.

#11 ·
Unfortunately, as always, it seems like most people don't know what the actual legislation is; probably largely do to lobbyist on both sides. Please take the time to actual read it:
http://www.state.me.us/sos/cec/elec/cit ... ground.pdf

While I will probably vote no on question 3, the are a lot of common sense exceptions, i.e. you can borrow a gun to hunt, transfer to a family member, etc, it isn't as crazy as some people make it out to be.

Also the first violation is a class D crime, which I believe with the exception of domestic abuse offenses does not affect the ability to possesses a firearm, but I could be wrong on that as fortunately it is not something I have had to deal with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.