Duck Hunting Forum banner

Sea Duck Report

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  RedDog 
#1 ·
All,

My brother and I launched his 16 ft. Alaskan w/ the 30 hp off the town landing this Sunday in Naskeag (Brookline. . .near Blue Hill) and had a great chance to cruize down into Blue Hill Bay and check out the sea ducks. We saw aroud 50-60 WW Scoters and about 20-30 Old Squaws BUT no Eiders or Golden Eyes.

I locked in a bunch of GPS coordinates where we saw the most birds if anyone is intersted PM me . . . but it would be easier to say they were clustered in/around Flye Island and directly in front of the boat launch. Nothing but Scags in Blue Hill Bay once you pass Sand Point.

Wind was a little strong and upon our return we circled Green Island and really got hammered with 3-4 foot waves most of the way back to the landing. I thought my back would give out if we slammed down on one more. . . glad we didn't bring the dogs they would have gotten POUNDED!

All in all a good scouting trip. We are hoping to hit Megunticook this weekend to check out the resident Geese. . . will keep you all posted.

DuckMann

See less See more
#2 ·
duckman.

On that last trip i was telling you about iwas able to get this picture of one of the flocks of eiders we saw, It might be a little tough to see because we did not want to ge to close but there is about 500 birds in this groupand we say 3 other flocks that we as big or bigger.

#3 ·
Wow that is beautiful! Is that photo taken off some of the outer islands you had mentioned before?

I can't wait to hit the water. . . my brothers new blind system is awesome and will make hunting so much more enjoyable this year. Hunting from the ledges last year was OK but being in the boat is pure luxury!

#5 ·
Very nice. . .it is good to see those huge rafts of Eiders.

I am curious have you (or anyone else reading this) ever seen or even harvested a "King" Eider? I thought with all of the hunting you do off the outer islands you may have come in contact with a few over the years. I talked with an old timer in Jonesport last season and he said in his 50 years of sea duck hunting he had only ever seen one.

Also, was wondering how many banded Eiders you see in a typical season? My brother was able to get one banded Eider about 2 years ago in Blue Hill Bay BUT before and after that nothing.

DuckMann

#6 ·
duckman,

In 30 plus years of sea duck hunting I have seen 1 small flock of kings down on the outer side of Swans Island. There were 5 birds together which on that day offered about a 70 yard passing shot which we did not take. That was about 7 years ago and I have not seen any others.

I have taken 4 eiders with bands and my Dad has 1 and another friend who hunts with us has 1..I know of several other friends who do not hunt with us and they have taken a couple...Beyond that I haven't seen any others. In my mind A drake Eider dosn't need a band to be absolutely beautiful. I get as much enjoyment just watching the birds as I do hunting them...

#7 ·
I'll be in Maine for the first time this November trying my luck on sea ducks. If I don't get any others I'd like an Eider and Oldsquaw (sorry, Long-tailed Duck). We'll be in Casco Bay. Any thing I need to expect or not? I don't expect to see Kings but, if you couldn't tell by my name, King Eiders are my holy grail of ducks. Might have to plan that trip to the Bearing Sea. Maybe its just from being from land locked Iowa but them sea ducks are cool.

#8 ·
On the last day of the 03-04 season we hunted around Boothbay. It was pretty cold as you may remember. On the way back in, we saw a lone drake King right there in the middle of the moored boats by the takeout. :eek: Maybe we'll see him again another day (when even the Kings think it's crazy to be out there).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.