Sunday hunting legislation

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Postby Thetoe » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:39 pm

I got an email from the NRA-ILA about several proposed bills for Sunday hunting legislation. Two of the proposed bills would specifically allow "wild bird" and "migratory bird" hunting in Sunday's. There is a public hearing on April 6. I'll copy parts of the email below.

Next Thursday, April 6, the Legislative Committee on Inland Fisheries and Wildlife is scheduled to hold a public hearing on several bills that would create Sunday hunting opportunities for Maine sportsmen. Please contact members of the Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Committee and ask them to support Sunday hunting opportunities!

Legislative Document 61, sponsored by Representative David McCrea (D-148), would allow licensed hunters to hunt wild birds on Sundays with a shotgun.

Legislative Document 109, sponsored by Representative Scott Strom (R-106), would allow Sunday hunting on private property with the landowner’s permission.

Legislative Document 189, sponsored by Representative David Haggan (R-101), would allow the hunting of wild birds on Sundays in Aroostook County and in unorganized townships in the counties of Piscataquis, Somerset, Franklin, Oxford, Kennebec, Lincoln, Sagadahoc, Androscoggin, Cumberland and York.

Legislative Document 485, sponsored by Representative Jeffrey Pierce (R-53), would allow Sunday hunting of migratory game birds.

Legislative Document 694, sponsored by Representative Kent Ackley (I-82), would create a local option to allow hunting deer on Sundays with rifles. The bill will allow a municipality, plantation or county, with regard to its unorganized territory, to petition the Commissioner of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife to allow hunting on Sunday in its territory.
Thetoe
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Sunday hunting legislation

Postby Thetoe » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:57 am

After reading the testimony posted on the committees website, I am disgusted by the number of people who testified against all the bills and the little number of people and organizations in favor of the bills, especially the proposed bill for migratory bird hunting on Sunday's.
Thetoe
hunter

Postby Bunker » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:52 am

Thetoe wrote:After reading the testimony posted on the committees website, I am disgusted by the number of people who testified against all the bills and the little number of people and organizations in favor of the bills, especially the proposed bill for migratory bird hunting on Sunday's.

I did not get to read the testimony or read up on the other bills but just heard that the Sunday hunting non binding vote was 60ish to 30ish with a few undecideds. If these numbers are remotely correct that sounds pretty favorable to me. Is there something Im missing? :huh:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bunker
hunter

Postby Thetoe » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:48 pm

I hadn't heard anything about the numbers. I hope that it's true.
Thetoe
hunter

Postby Haste » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:43 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but the season is 60 hunting days either way right? I wonder if it does get approved how that will effect start/end dates of our seasons. The later the season goes the better it is in my experience but those early days are great for certain areas as well.
Haste
hunter

Postby Bunker » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:53 pm

Thats a great point! I didn't even think about that. :doh: I looked up New Hampshires season dates. I didn't sit down and count days but their dates starting and ending seemed pretty comparable to ours (within 3 to 4 days). It looks like their split is longer which is where they make up for the extra days.

Bunker
hunter

Postby Seaductor » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:27 am

I'm retired!! I don't need to be giving up a bunch of hunting days to Sunday hunters. The birds need a day of rest too! I'm afraid all the nonresidents will flood the state and spend more tourist dollars. The Maine guides that have regular Monday to Friday jobs would get a chance to hire out to sports on Sundays thereby further taxing our depleted resources.
I worked a lot of years to retire and didn't get the advantage of Sunday hunting. Too bad for you guys now! Leave things the way they are. I'm sure the north zone guys would like a shorter season than they currently have!!
Sundays should remain a travel and scouting day! We old timers need one day a week to rest anyway!!
When you get to be my age, it's always a race to see if you'll piss inside or outside of your waders!!
Seaductor
hunter

Postby Mike the Fox » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:29 pm

Congratulations on your retirement. If the birds need a day of rest then I'd be happy to give up Wednesday hunting. What resources are depleted? I understand we don't get birds like the Midwest but we have plenty of birds.I work Monday to Friday so if I'm lucky I get to scout for an hour or so Friday afternoon before dark. I get one day to hunt so scouting Sunday would be useless for me. I say give us Sunday hunting and take away a day during the week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike the Fox
hunter

Postby Thetoe » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:59 pm

Mike the Fox wrote:Congratulations on your retirement. If the birds need a day of rest then I'd be happy to give up Wednesday hunting. What resources are depleted? I understand we don't get birds like the Midwest but we have plenty of birds.I work Monday to Friday so if I'm lucky I get to scout for an hour or so Friday afternoon before dark. I get one day to hunt so scouting Sunday would be useless for me. I say give us Sunday hunting and take away a day during the week.

Agreed.

I read the testimony against Sunday hunting and found that no one could provide any fact based argument. It was all emotionally charged. Mostly people not feeling safe walking in the woods during hunting season.

It's disappointing to hear an older retired guy so against Sunday hunting when I'm sure you'd like to see the tradition passed on. It's very hard to do that when you have to work 5 or 6 days a week, compete with school events for your children, find time to scout, and hope all these pieces fall in to place so you can MAYBE hunt one day a week. If you need your one day a week to rest, make it another day in the week or make it Sunday, no one would be forcing you to hunt on Sunday.
Thetoe
hunter

Postby Mike the Fox » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:43 am

I don't understand why people don't feel safe during hunting season. Being a waterfowl hunter I pretty much never see non-hunters when I'm hunting and when I used to deer hunt it was extremely rare to see anyone from where I hunted. The non hunting public must think we're hiding behind every tree waiting to shoot at anything that moves and that we can't tell the difference between a deer and a horse.
I know the Maine professional guides assn was against Sunday hunting because they were afraid it would put the bear kill too high and that would lead to a shorter season. My solution for that would be to not allow Sunday hunting for bears or to leave Sunday hunting for residents only. Most residents don't typically bear hunt and that would also alleviate seaductors concern of guides hiring out to sports on sundays. I think we should be able to come up with a compromise that would work for most people. There are very few states left that don't have Sunday hunting and I think it would be a shame to pass up an opportunity to get more time in the field.

Mike the Fox
hunter

Postby Bunker » Tue May 09, 2017 3:09 pm

I gotta agree with Mike and the toe. I'm not a 9-5'er and typically hunt 3-4 days a week so allowing Sunday hunting won't effect me too much either way. Even if it does come to fruition Sunday might have to be my day of rest because my wife might actually divorce me at that point! :lol: @

The argument about the birds needing a day of rest doesn't do a lot for me. We are not the only predators that game or waterfowl needs to worry about and I doubt the amount of added pressure on the species on Sundays be it residents and or non resident sports will make a big difference to that. Other than putting money in to our local economy and the pockets of our states guides and their businesses. I think through proper management a happy medium can be attained.

:beer:

Bunker
hunter

Postby Thetoe » Tue May 09, 2017 4:21 pm

From what I read, looks like all the Sunday hunting bills were voted as ought-not-to-pass. Bummer.
Thetoe
hunter

Postby Mike the Fox » Tue May 09, 2017 4:45 pm

That sucks. Where did you read that?

Mike the Fox
hunter

Postby Thetoe » Wed May 10, 2017 4:54 am

The committees website and the BDN-->whatever that's worth coming from them.
Thetoe
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting